8 3/4 rear disc brake conversions

-

speedemon398

Reaction score
im wondering about some 8 3/4 disc brake setups made from factory style parts explorer, cherokee, scarebird and any other that you can make from off the shelf parts. id like to hear some fabrication ideas, pics, or pros and cons of what everyone has came up with.

I've heard that some late 70s early 80 Lincolns had rear disc that was useable. Still have to cut and weld brackets and maybe enlarge center hole on the rotors....

I used ford explorer rototrs(same bolt pattern), and calipers off of a metric monte carlo, with weld on brackets from afco, had maybe 50 dollars into it.

cool thanks for the link. i don't have the brake on mine now regardless the subframes were interfering with it so oh well.

sure, It wont have e brakes this way just to let you know, but who needs em anyways.

Hee Hee... I was just at this rear disc crossroads yesterday. Cheapo ford versailles setup, wilwood disc pro-street (no e-brake), and SSBC rear single piston with e-brake.... what to do...

Having actually used an ebrake to stop twice in my life (once at 16 1/2 years old due to wheel cylinder seal failure - my fault for poor break maint and ingnorance, and once at 23 due to almost new master cylinder failure) I chose the SSBC kit. Yes it's mundo $$ over the ford option, and $170 over the wilwood (looks much less cool also) but $170 is a small price for a second chance to stop... IMO only of course.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I already did the '74 single piston caliper conversion on my 68 cuda and got the proportioning valve off that car... does anyone know if it will work fine with the conversion to single piston rear discs or am I looking at another purchase for a proportioning valve?

It "seems" like the single piston rear and single piston front would be very similar to the single pistons cylynders I had on the original setup (drums all around) so my original valve might work just as well as the one from the front disc car that I salvaged?

Opinions?

My car was a drum drum car also, and it feels real good and doesnt lock one up before the other, it just stops fast, no tire lock. I used a master out of a gran fury, cant remember the bore size. My car is a manual, so I could just down shift till it stops, but I have never even been in or heard of a situation where an e brake was needed, so that is new to me. Im just cheap and prefer discs all the way around. I have four piston wilwoods all around on my 71 pickup and on my 70 w100 I have them on the rear, both have excellent brakes, and no ebrake.

-
Back