8 3/4 Rear End Howling

-
Reaction score
I recently swapped my 72 Duster rear end to a 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears. Everything within the rear end is new except the gears. The gears were in good shape so we reused. When accelerating and you reach 50-60 mph a howling noise can be heard. Only when accelerating and only in this mph range. Is this a shim issue due to the old gears being used or is this something I should be more concerned with? Thanks

Well, chances are when you installed them they aren't exactly as they were. You could mess with them, but chances are you may have to live with it.

Did you take a backlash reading before hand?

I recently swapped my 72 Duster rear end to a 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears. Everything within the rear end is new except the gears. The gears were in good shape so we reused. When accelerating and you reach 50-60 mph a howling noise can be heard. Only when accelerating and only in this mph range. Is this a shim issue due to the old gears being used or is this something I should be more concerned with? Thanks
My dads charger with 3.23 sure grip does this from 16 rpm up to 2800 RPM only when underload or accelerating not when coasting.
But it has been like that for 20 plus years no probs and gives the car character.

Set up is wrong, very close, but wrong sounds a little to deep, very little adjustment don't make a huge .020 adjustment

New pinion bearing installed also ?

Reused pinion bearing. From the sound of things it seems like the measurement may be slightly off? Doesn't sound like its something I shouldn't drive the car with? Seems like its just going to be a little annoying until I take it apart again to repair? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

When you can.. Take it for a 20 mile drive and jump under you car and put your habd on the frint pinion area and see how hot it is..
I agree, this should be located so you won't hurt the rear end. Good luck to finding this wear area, I would think it could be the pinion making the noise.

-
Back