8 3/4 Rear End Rebuild

-

TheFunkyTomato

Reaction score
First post, been lurking for a while, awesome community. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Pulled apart my 8 3/4 Mopar after it began making a loud clicking. I found several pieces of metal in the bottom of the housing as well as a chunk wedged into the pinion gear. Seems to have done minimum damage to the gears, however I have no idea what these pieces originally were. I’ve attached images of what I found and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Did the previous owner accidentally leave something in there, or are these remnants of a part that I’m not familiar with and need to replace before reassembly? Thank you in advance.

83696307-2A43-4ECD-9C7C-FE9BC538B16E.jpeg

9993CF0F-2F55-4B2F-A31F-F61F30C64A7B.jpeg

A9BE58B0-B87C-4C31-B3AA-E674E2D1357B.jpeg

F6B636E8-9748-4CED-B51B-8108E2FED960.jpeg

Go ahead and take it on down. That's the button the cross shaft slides through. Somehow it met its demise.

Yep the thrust block.....but in your first pic it looks like a chunk of side (spider) gear. In other words Fubar:(. Like RRR said, rebuild it.
That block isn't needed IF you have sealed or "green" axle bearings but there appears to be other damage. If you dig around the bottom of the axle housing you might find more pieces.

Yep the thrust block.....but in your first pic it looks like a chunk of side (spider) gear. In other words Fubar:(. Like RRR said, rebuild it.
That block isn't needed IF you have sealed or "green" axle bearings but there appears to be other damage. If you dig around the bottom of the axle housing you might find more pieces.

I do have green bearings, not really interested in spending any $$ on an open diff if I can get away with it. Sounds like I'd be better off getting a set of green bearings and slapping it together until I find a sure grip unit. Does that reasoning track well? The only damage I've been able to observe are a few small nicks in 2 of the ring gear teeth and I've cleaned out all the metal in the housing.

I do have green bearings, not really interested in spending any $$ on an open diff if I can get away with it. Sounds like I'd be better off getting a set of green bearings and slapping it together until I find a sure grip unit. Does that reasoning track well? The only damage I've been able to observe are a few small nicks in 2 of the ring gear teeth and I've cleaned out all the metal in the housing.

Take it apart. There's more.

For clarity--the bearings I referred to are your axle bearings. Those should not be affected, just possibly the carrier bearings and pinion bearing. If it's coming out for rehab, replace them. The block is there to set the axle end play when the factory-style tapered roller axle bearings are used. If the 'green' or sealed bearings are on each axle there's no need for it, and it can cause heartache if left in place.

For clarity--the bearings I referred to are your axle bearings. Those should not be affected, just possibly the carrier bearings and pinion bearing. If it's coming out for rehab, replace them. The block is there to set the axle end play when the factory-style tapered roller axle bearings are used. If the 'green' or sealed bearings are on each axle there's no need for it, and it can cause heartache if left in place.

Tracking on all that, I went and did my own research once I read “thrustblock” and “green bearings.” Have a set coming from Cass soon.

-
Back