8 3/4" Rear questions..

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
I managed to put my hands on a complete 8 3/4 rear for my Dart, Great shape, 2881489 casting number, Moser axles, great deal.

It's supposedly a B-Body rear and by my best measurements, it is. The questions are:

1. What am I going to have to do/have done to fit this under my '72?

2. Since the Mosers are 5x4.5 and my current wheels (Which I want to keep) are 5X4, what options do I have short of buying new axles?

Any help will be appreciated. And if anyone has a complete similarly equipped 8 3/4 for an A-body and willing to trade, I'm listening...\\:D/

Which of the B BODY rears do you have?

Here's the flange to flange measurements:

'62-'63= 53 1/4" (And '64 Max Wedge)
'64 = 55 5/8" (Exc. Max Wedge)
'65-'67= 54 1/4"
'68-'70= 54 15/16"
'71-'74= 57 7/8"

Has the rear already been shortened for a-body?
I don't believe it has.

'65-'67= 54 1/4"
'68-'70= 54 15/16"
'71-'74= 57 7/8"
Let me double check when I get home today, I measured it months ago and exact figures are blurry now.

'65-'67= 54 1/4"
'68-'70= 54 15/16"
'71-'74= 57 7/8"

The best I can measure at this time, considering where it is in my shop which has limited access right now, is that it's roughly 54 1/2". Without removing the center section and getting a more exact figure, that's the best I can do.:violent1:

Looks like it's a 65-67 B-body rear, that's good. It will widen your rear "track" by about 1.50" (approximately .75" per side). This means that with the same wheel and tire your tire will move .75" closer to the fender lip.

1. What am I going to have to do/have done to fit this under my '72?
Two choices: Have spring perches moved to match A-body spring width or I seen guys actually pull spring out to fit b-body spring perch. Read this for more info: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._0404_8_3_4_rear_axle_housing_swap/index.html

2. Since the Mosers are 5x4.5 and my current wheels (Which I want to keep) are 5X4, what options do I have short of buying new axles?

Have axles re-drilled by Moser (approx. $65) or a competent local shop.

Thanks guys! I was worried that I'd have to have the tubes chopped and end up spending more having it converted than it would've been to buy a fitting one outright. I picked up the whole rear for $200, so it's good to know that it won't cost me a ton on the back end.

The article posted by Demon, has some good info in it, I referred to it when I did my swap. Once you have it in, the "only" problem I see is the wheels. You will more than likely have to go with a deeper backspace. The wheels you have can be modified with a deeper backspace if you are dead set on keeping them. There is a place up here in Livonia, MI that can add backspace to your current wheels (this must be measured correctly). And yes the axles could be modified or you could get replacement axles.

As far as "pulling" your springs in, a lot of guys will do it, but I would suggest moving the perches in to match the springs.

Swapping in the rear is not as difficult as it seems on the surface. Just do your homework before you start. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I am real happy with my swap, before I put the B rear in my front tire track was wider than the rear and it really bugged me, now it's the same.

-
Back