8 3/4 Rearend bolt size for Pinion Snubber

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
I have tried 7/16" bolts and 3/8"x16 and 3/8"x24 and nothing seems to be the right size for mounting my pinion snubber on my 8 3/4" rearend. Does anyone know what size bolts fits? The rearend is all ready mounted, so it is hard to see if it is even threaded.

Thanks

bwhitejr

all of the 8.75" resr ends I have around here use a pair of 3/8"-16 bolts to secure pinion snubber. Yours may have the threads full of dirt or corrosion. Try cleaning them out with a tap, if that is the case.

Bob

all of the 8.75" resr ends I have around here use a pair of 3/8"-16 bolts to secure pinion snubber. Yours may have the threads full of dirt or corrosion. Try cleaning them out with a tap, if that is the case.

Bob

Yup, he is right. Because the bolt holes are in a vertical position, the holes fill up with dirt or dirt daubers build nests in them pluging them up. Run a 3/8 th x 16 tap thru them and blow them out with air.

Old thread, but what is the length of the bolts? 1"? 1-1/4"?

Also, on my 489 case it looks like there's only 2 bolts that hold it on. For some reason I thought there's supposed to be 3 holding it on. Where I got that idea from????

I'm about to install the pinion snubber that I got from Longgone (I think) a year or so ago. Draggin' my feet again (I know). Just want to grab the correct grade 8 hardware and "git 'er done".

Wylde1.

On a stock snubber you can use 3/8 thread by 1". Some of the older cases had three bolts most had just two.

Thanks, SG. Got the bolts and lock washers. I'm still going to use some blue loctite on them.

I hate putting things off but with the humidity it now feels like 90*F. At the non insulated shop I've been renting for 3 summers now, it's a good 10* to 15* hotter inside. :puke: Think I'll try for tomorrow morning when it's a little cooler out. As soon as the Demon's off the stands, I'll be zipping to Home Depot for some vapour barrier and insulation. I'm picking up 2 window air conditioners for $20 each. Then I should be good for summer wrenching.

Wylde1.

90? I just completed working with Gainesville Fire Dept. testing fireman for a driver/engineer promotional test. It was 101 degrees with a feels like temp. of 111 degrees. Outside in the middle of an asphalt parking lot. Longest week of my life!

90* + another 10 to 15* inside the shop for 100 to 105* total. Need to get a thermometer in there. I sucked it up and got it done in the heat. Put a fan on the floor to get the air circulating. Felt much better. Bolted the snubber on and adjusted the shifter rods - I now have all 4 gears instead of 1, 3 & 4. At least up on jackstands the shifter worked. We'll see how it is on the road test later today... if the rain holds off.

Wylde1.

90? I just completed working with Gainesville Fire Dept. testing fireman for a driver/engineer promotional test. It was 101 degrees with a feels like temp. of 111 degrees. Outside in the middle of an asphalt parking lot. Longest week of my life!

In turn out gear? Whew! I hope not, I know what that's like.

-
Back