8 3/4 rearend rebuild

-

AirForceRacer

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Hey guys just picked up a 8 3/4 rearend for my Duster. Needs a full rebuild with bigger bolt pattern axles. Im looking for some help How-To's on rebuilding. This will be my first time dealing with a rearend. Any tips or ticks would be very helpful.

Im looking at Strange 35 spline axle (big bolt pattern) and a Strange 35 spline spool.

Thanks!

Is this a drag car only? If this is a street car I would recommend a sure grip not the spool.

I would read as much as you can, and then have at it. They aren't too difficult to do. You would need a couple of specialty tools, dial indicator and a rotational torque wrench is recommended ( I didn't use one cause I don't have one) and mine is OK.

The part that took the most time for me was setting up the pinion depth and getting the pattern right, other than that it was a breeze.

What center section do you have?

741, 742, 489?

^Add to what he said, if working with a 489 use a solid sleeve instead of a crush sleeve.

You need to buy diff set up tool set, tq wrench, tq meter wrench, spanner wrench, dial indicator, press, bearing puller, bearing race install tool.

Crush collar or spacer makes no difference both work perfectly

The car will be set up for mostly the track with some street action. I bought the complete rear end with 741 3rd member. But I also bought an extra 489 3rd member with it.

I've tried to look around buy haven't found any how-To's when it come with tearing down the rearend and 3rd member. Anyone know any good manuals or threads?

Thanks again.

Never seen any good reading material for setting up a diff, seen good books with specs and what should be but not setting up where the person who never did it gets it perfect. There always seems to be something missing or something not done and explaining how to read patterns and adjust or where it's making noise while the pattern was in the small window of perfect and to adjust is very small

The car will be set up for mostly the track with some street action. I bought the complete rear end with 741 3rd member. But I also bought an extra 489 3rd member with it.

I've tried to look around buy haven't found any how-To's when it come with tearing down the rearend and 3rd member. Anyone know any good manuals or threads?

Thanks again.

When I get home I will try and post a couple of links I have bookmarked. I'm working from my phone right now. Liked SS said it is hard to do a perfect job like a professioal shop can do, but I have done my own over the years with no issues at all.

If you do decide to do it you should take the time to study up on it and ask lots of questions before tackling it. It can be done with the right approach.

The only other option is to have someone do it for you, the last time I had one done it was 12 hundred to set up a Dana because I needed it in a hurry. That was
ten years ago.

When I get home I will try and post a couple of links I have bookmarked. I'm working from my phone right now. Liked SS said it is hard to do a perfect job like a professioal shop can do, but I have done my own over the years with no issues at all.

If you do decide to do it you should take the time to study up on it and ask lots of questions before tackling it. It can be done with the right approach.

The only other option is to have someone do it for you, the last time I had one done it was 12 hundred to set up a Dana because I needed it in a hurry. That was
ten years ago.

Awsome thanks. Whatever info I can get will help.

randy's ring and pinion offers a book for $32 , or at least used to .....

-
Back