8 3/4 rearend swap in 70 dart

-

Jarod340

Reaction score
i have a 66 barracuda A body 8.75 rearend, and Im going to swap it in my 70 dart.
what complication or issues will I faceother than drive line shortening and using 8.75 shock mounts and u bolts? will the brake lines in my 70 dart 7 1/4 work?

any info would be great

You probably won't be able to use the brake lines, the vent bolt/block probably isn't in the same place and the 8 3/4" housing is about 1-1/8" wider than a 7.25" housing so the lines would be short. Other than that you already got most of it, shorten the driveshaft, use 8 3/4" shock plates and u-bolts for a 3" diameter axle tube, check the yoke to make sure you can use the same u-joint or if you need a conversion. The parking brake lines should be ok, same for the brake hose coming down to the rear axle but those are usually worth replacing anyway.

You probably won't be able to use the brake lines, the vent bolt/block probably isn't in the same place and the 8 3/4" housing is about 1-1/8" wider than a 7.25" housing so the lines would be short. Other than that you already got most of it, shorten the driveshaft, use 8 3/4" shock plates and u-bolts for a 3" diameter axle tube, check the yoke to make sure you can use the same u-joint or if you need a conversion. The parking brake lines should be ok, same for the brake hose coming down to the rear axle but those are usually worth replacing anyway.
Awesome thanks

The driveshaft usually needs to be shortened about 2.25", but you should measure that on your car before you have the driveshaft cut down.

On the contrary some versions of the brake lines will work from slant 6. I actually went crazy ordering lines from Summit to only return three of them to get the right ones once I remove my 7 1/4 rear the brake lines are almost identical and I could have used them.

I'm actually in the 8 3/4 rear swap process myself but with SS leafs added

20170212_102502.jpg
20170218_144721.jpg
20170218_160251(0).jpg

-
Back