8 3/4 rebuil ?

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
should i get a sure grip unit or aubern posi unit or a pre assembled center section like the one from mancini racing, ist going to be a daily driver with as many trips to the track as possible. any advice would be great

The factory mopar 8 3/4 units with the clutch packs are rebuildable, made from 1959-1968, also known as power lock, sure-grip or clutch posi. These are pretty tough units and can hold up to plenty of abuse. You can buy new ones but they can get pretty spendy. Also try Randy's Ring & Pinion, they have all kinds of great parts for chrysler rear ends! I would stay away from the newer factory mopar cone style limited slip units made 1969-74. These burn up way easier, especially doing burnouts around corners. They are also more work to rebuild. All aftermarket ones are probably good enough, you can also get these right from the mopar dealer! :thumbup:

Just bought a rebuild kit from Randy's for the posi unit, Spent $96 !! Later found out that I can get this from Summit or Jegs for $61.95, Shop around!

First off it's made by Powertrax and its a all gear type unit that can convert a single track to a locker. I first learned about it on the TV show 2 Guys Garage. It takes the place of the side gears to give both wheels equal traction with no slippage, but will allow one wheel to slip around going around corners like a limited slip does. For more details go to Powertrax.com and they list all the different kinds that they make. Even some for off road use or all out racing.

-
Back