8 3/4 Rebuild Guide?

-

ckj688

Reaction score
I'm going to take on the task of rebuilding my rearend (489 case, suregrip).
I will not be rebuilding the suregrip unit itself!

This is what I've got to work with:

rat-3004k.jpg

rmg-4900421.jpg

Anyone have a picture guide or a well written guide on how to do this?

It's $200 to have someone do this and at this stage I really can't afford it. Is this do-able for a person that is a do-it-yourselfer when coming down to mechanics? Is this task something that one who hasn't done it before can do?

Thanks!
Craig

Mopar Muscle Magazine did a comprehensive article on differential gears set up. You should be able to find it if you search their website and use "Mopar rear end gear set up" as a topic. There are a couple specific tools you`ll need but you can make them if you have the steel and a welder.

Buy an extra rear pinion bearing and hone it for setting up pinion depth. This way you don't have to press/remove the bearing you plan on using to adjust the shim pack.

You can do it with a brake hone or a die grinder and carbide cutter. If you have a friend at a machine shop they can use a connecting rod hone.

A Factory Service Manual has a good step by step in it.

Too bad you aren't closer. You can do this yourself but $200 is not a bad price. I wouldn't do it for that. Consider investing over $1000 in tools to do it with and you can understand why someone wants that much for their services. One set of bearing pullers alone from Randys is $500. Now consider all the guages to measure backlash and your common run of the mill ratchets and impacts, you can come up with $1000 worth of tools very quickly. Oh, I forgot the manual on how to get it done. PM me if you need help. I can loan you a manual and you pay shipping both ways.
Small Block

$200?? That's cheap! I had someone quote $400 to rebuild my rear and not rebuild the suregrip. I also wanted the gears swapped but I don't see why it was so expensive, plus you would be taking the gears out anyway. He told me it was an 8 hour job????

I don't know if any manual if that's what your looking for but

Here is a link

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0308_mopar_rear_end_gears_set_up/index.html

THANKS BRO, I just swapped a suregrip into my diff, never thought I would do that, this link should be in tech articles.

I would also get the crush sleeve eliminator. You will need a dial indicator, a spanner to adjust side movement of the ring gear and something to hold the yoke when torquing the pinion nut.

I made mine.

View attachment Diff tool.JPG

Keep asking here as well in this thread if you get confused, there is plenty of help here. And by the way, yes you can do it.

I would also get the crush sleeve eliminator. You will need a dial indicator, a spanner to adjust side movement of the ring gear and something to hold the yoke when torquing the pinion nut.

I made mine.

View attachment 1714581996

Keep asking here as well in this thread if you get confused, there is plenty of help here. And by the way, yes you can do it.

that yoke tool is cool, I will make one tomorrow....thanks brutha

-
Back