8 3/4 Sure Grip Info

-
I bought a powerlock from www.doctordiff.com. I had him press on the bearings, and orderd a bottle of friction modifier. He was easy to work with and sent my unit out really fast. Now my Demon is laying 2 stripes. I can't wait to see how much it will knock off my time at the strip! I would definitely buy from him again....A+ vendor

Yes he is a great guy. He quoted me $350 for a powerlok but recommended he go through it for an additional $50 to be sure it was set up correctly. He has also answered a few questions for me too.

Shouldn't be any shim on a 8.75 for the carrier bearings. Backlash and preload are set using the spanner adjusters.

If you have a current case/pumpkin that you want to swap out an open for Sure Grip, really easy. Get a backlash reading on the current gears, you'll want to reset it to that when the sure grip is installed.

Make sure the bearings and races are the proper units for the case number. They are different between some of the cases. Probably wouldn't hurt to put fresh bearings on the sure grip.

Set up the rear using info from a factory service manual. Get the backlash reset and take a pattern. Should be roughly the same as the original.

I did'nt think in 72 they still used 741 cases.....
That was my gut reaction, but I could be wrong. Another thing to keep in mind, if a posi is wasted enough, it can act just like a peg-leg, & this car is pretty old. Food for thought...

741 rear was factory installed from 1965 - 1974. george, you're right, if the posi is wore out enough it will act like a one wheeler.

-
Back