8-3/4 sure grip unit

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
I have a 489 sure grip CONE STYLE unit with 323 gears. I disassembled the unit from the case to remove the center button, but how do you line the splines back up between the cones and the unit so the axle will slide back in? It looks like this needs to be done before I can tighten the case half bolts back down.
I have the unit on my bench, and I don't want to take my car apart until this is ready to go back in. I wish I had a spare set of axles to use, but I don't. Is there any other way??
Any help is appreciated.

George

If you have axles that is best,but throwing it together and lining it up with the axles once the center section is bolted up works also.

I guess I'm confused here but I have never heard of lining the splines up before you install it in the case. Once everything is together you slide one axle in then go on the other side and slide that axle in. The cone gives anyhow so it doesn't matter.... correct?

I guess I'm confused here but I have never heard of lining the splines up before you install it in the case. Once everything is together you slide one axle in then go on the other side and slide that axle in. The cone gives anyhow so it doesn't matter.... correct?

He disassembled the sure grip unit and when you do you have to align the side gear splines. The only time you need to do it is when you take the sure grip unit apart.

He disassembled the sure grip unit and when you do you have to align the side gear splines. The only time you need to do it is when you take the sure grip unit apart.

Oh ok

I know this might be a little shady but I had a machine shop remove 3/8" off each axle and installed them. Done!

Exactly right.
Thanks guys for confirming what I already knew. I guess I just needed to say it outloud! LOL
Damn, though, I wish I had a second set of axles to set it up with before I took the car apart. I'd hate like hell to have the car "down" for any length of time in the summer should something go wrong.

George

I have the same unit in my 67 Dart. I have had it apart twice trying to see why it goes clunk clunk. I don't see any way to line up the splines without using the axles. Be carefull to not over tighten the bolts. I had three snap using specs I got from a magazine. I have found an open diff. for $75 and am settin my 489 sure grip aside.
George

-
Back