8 3/4 swap into 74 Scamp question.

-

74RR

Reaction score
I'm wanting to swap a 8 3/4 into my 74 Scamp.
My question is,are there years of the 8 3/4 that will bolt right in or do most need to have fab work done to bolt in?
Thanks.

Any 8 3/4" rear that comes from an A body is pretty much a straight bolt in deal. You might have to swap parking brake cables. You'll also need the larger U bolts & the correct shock mounting plates if you're replacing a 7 1/4" rear axle. If you're replacing an 8 1/4" rear I think the shock plates & U bolts you already have should work. You'll end up with the small bolt pattern on the rear after the swap so you'll have to decide how you want to deal with that. You'll also have to shorten the drive shaft. Going from 7 1/4" to 8 3/4" requires a 2 1/4" shorter drive shaft. Don't know how much you need to shorten for a swap from an 8 1/4" to an 8 3/4" rear.

If you decide to use a rear that comes from a B or C body there's more involved. Some people have used B body rears as-is by moving the spring perches on the housing & using wheels with more positive offset. This will get you around the problem of the different bolt pattern but you'll have to be careful about your wheel selection because a Scamp has a more restrictive rear wheel well than a Duster or a Demon or Dart Sport.

That's a great help! Thanks a ton!

If you don't have a 8 3/4 rear yet I do its out of a truck so it can be shortened and the axles can be resplined the gear ratio is 3.91 it would cost about 300 for a shop near me to shorten the axles and housing so in the long run it would be cheaper doing this instead of buying an a body because they are expensive and they are small bolt pattern the one I have is big bolt pattern

-
Back