8 3/4 swap.. please help

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
ok, so my 69 dart currently has a blown 7 1/4 big bolt pattern rear end in it now. I have a 8 3/4 from an A body (489) that i am going to use. Now i am trying to do this kinda on the cheap. My main concern is making sure my wheels fit, i have NO room to play. I am running 265/35/18 in stock wheel wells. Judging by this.......http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/images/references/rear-axel-ref.jpg
The 73-76 7 1/4 and my a-body 8 3/4 should be the exact same overall length. I know i will need to get different axles for the large bolt pattern but what is a good axle to go with. My car does have 500 hp. My next concern is, what are my brake options?

I have read about the mustang rear brake conversion but will that change my overall length?
or can i use the drum brakes off of my 7 1/4??
Is there anything else i should do? Rebuild the sure grip? or can i just put axles in it, throw brakes on and everything "should" be ok???

Thanks guys!

If you talk to Dr. diff he has bolt in axles in large bolt pattern that you can use the drum brakes off of your 7 1/4 for about $300.00

Ok, i have been off here for a while.. Is Dr. Diff a member or is there a website?

Ok, so can i just throw the axles in and be good to go? Or is there any bearing/seals i should change while i have it out of the car??

There is a seal inside each axle tube I would change these at the minimum.

You are going to need bearings for new axle either oe or green bearings need to be pressed onto the axles and the driveshaft is going to be diffrent length. Good luck Bill

The factory tapered roller bearings are better suited for a car that handles the curves well. For straight line performance the "Green Baerings" work well.
If you decide to do an aftermarket disc brake conversion be careful. Some will move your axles outwards by the amount of the caliper adapter plate.

That chart is a POS!

Mentioned same in the other thread you have.

If you go with Dr. Doffs axles they comewith green bearings already installed.

-
Back