8 & 3/4 to lg bolt conversion

-
Reaction score
I have a small bolt pattern 8&3/4 rear end (drums). Is there a conversion kit for large bolt pattern someone makes?
What the best (cheapest) way to accomplish this?

Get some C body axles cut them down, get some brakes, backing plates and realated hardware from another Mopar with 4.5 pattern. You could buy axles from Yukon, or other with 4.5 pattern, and bolt on the drums and realted, from another car. Or buy axles and rear disc's. and have it all new. From cheapest to most expensive, I've done it the first way and the last way. It all works.

reardiscs.jpg

Depending on were you live it may be cheaper to just by some Yukon axles, I have seen Yukons on ebay as low as 159.00 pair. Were I live we do not have a machine shop that can respline an axle. So I would have to send them out. Plus when a stock axle is cut and resplined the surface harding is cut off during the resplining process so your axle are a little weaker than stock. A new axle is better, as far as strength is concerned. If you do not want to run green bearings and want to run a stock style tapered bearing you can't use Yukon axles they are for green bearings only.

Chuck

340mopar said:
Depending on were you live it may be cheaper to just by some Yukon axles, I have seen Yukons on ebay as low as 159.00 pair. Were I live we do not have a machine shop that can respline an axle. So I would have to send them out. Plus when a stock axle is cut and resplined the surface harding is cut off during the resplining process so your axle are a little weaker than stock. A new axle is better, as far as strength is concerned. If you do not want to run green bearings and want to run a stock style tapered bearing you can't use Yukon axles they are for green bearings only.
Chuck
:thumbup:
Yea, for $159.00 go new. It cost me $100 for the cut and respline 8 years ago. As far as the bearing goes, I run green in all my cars. This so far has never caused me problems, but the debate begins!!

Keith Mopar said:
:thumbup:
Yea, for $159.00 go new. It cost me $100 for the cut and respline 8 years ago. As far as the bearing goes, I run green in all my cars. This so far has never caused me problems, but the debate begins!!

Yea, your right been down that green bearing / tapered bearing debate path before and not going there again. People should just run what they feel comfortable with.

Chuck

I went with the Yukon axles and they fit nice. Just redrill your old drums or get a complete large pattern drum set up, you need to change the backing plates if you change the drum. The small pattern backing plate is different!

-
Back