8 3/4, what’s it worth?

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not a for sale ad, just trying to find out what a fresh, low mileage a-body 8 3/4 rear assembly is worth. Completely rebuilt drum to drum, 3.91 gears and sure grip diff…. What’s it worth?

Thanks in advance…. Bill

brand new housings built out end to end are in the 4-4.5K range

a complete built to order new 498 case with choose your own adventure gearing and limited slip usually run about 1500 or so

so i'd say probably somewhere in the range of 1.5~2K depending on axles and bolt pattern.

brand new housings built out end to end are in the 4-4.5K range

a complete built to order new 498 case with choose your own adventure gearing and limited slip usually run about 1500 or so

so i'd say probably somewhere in the range of 1.5~2K depending on axles and bolt pattern.
Edited the post to include chromoly axles with long studs and big bolt pattern.

Thanks, Bill

Reading your first post,, I immediately thought $12-$1500. New brakes, good axles with big pattern, and a clutch sure grip, very much to the high side of that estimate. A cone sure grip would pull a few less bucks than the clutch.

If you’re talking all new stuff and an original housing, for sure. $1500-1800 depending on what you get . A good used unit $1200+

I guess they are not worth anywhere near what I thought they were.... lol

Thanks all. Bill

I guess they are not worth anywhere near what I thought they were.... lol

Thanks all. Bill
Imo, the BEST 8 3/4 is worth about half of what a new Strange/Dr Diff dana 60 costs. I think I can get the dana i want for about $2500 and use my 8 3/4 brakes. Still less than my nine inchers cost.....

Isn’t there 1 4 sale on here for like $3500.00? All brand new everything. I think it would cost that much to build what you’re asking about. New Doctor Diff pumpkin is at least $1500.00. Housing on the cheap side $500.00. Axles if chrome Molly $1000.00. Brake assamblies and drums $500.00. And if u bought the housing ends, spring pads and a few other incidentals it all adds u super fast. Kim

i look at it like this: what's it cost for those parts new, then decide on how much of a hair cut there should be because the stuff is used (albeit lightly) and finally factor in the convenience factor of getting everything in one fell swoop. you get something that's ready to rock and roll, bolts right in, and i'm not screwing around with three different places trying to source parts with gawd knows what on back order.

The 8 3/4 I described is in my 70 Dart. I was toying with the idea of selling it to fund a new build for my Duster. The Duster currently has a brand new 9" that is 2" narrower than stock and I am thinking about going even narrower.

Think I'll just leave it in the Dart and narrow the 9" that's in the Duster.

Thanks, Bill

i look at it like this: what's it cost for those parts new, then decide on how much of a hair cut there should be because the stuff is used (albeit lightly) and finally factor in the convenience factor of getting everything in one fell swoop. you get something that's ready to rock and roll, bolts right in, and i'm not screwing around with three different places trying to source parts with gawd knows what on back order.
on the heels of that, as a buyer, if the used price is more then 75% of the new price, im forking over the extra coin to buy new
for that little difference, im not gonna risk using used parts

The 8 3/4 I described is in my 70 Dart. I was toying with the idea of selling it to fund a new build for my Duster. The Duster currently has a brand new 9" that is 2" narrower than stock and I am thinking about going even narrower.

Think I'll just leave it in the Dart and narrow the 9" that's in the Duster.

Thanks, Bill
I would consider leaving the niner the way it is, and getting wheels with more backspace. Of course, I don't know what your situation is. That idea may not work for what you want to do.....

Isn’t there 1 4 sale on here for like $3500.00? All brand new everything. I think it would cost that much to build what you’re asking about. New Doctor Diff pumpkin is at least $1500.00. Housing on the cheap side $500.00. Axles if chrome Molly $1000.00. Brake assamblies and drums $500.00. And if u bought the housing ends, spring pads and a few other incidentals it all adds u super fast. Kim

For sale is different than sold though. I feel like someone would be nuts to pay $3500 for a complete 8 3/4". I'd say half of what it would cost to build is reasonable if it's still in new condition.

Just going off of parts I've bought and sold for the last 20 years.

I would consider leaving the niner the way it is, and getting wheels with more backspace. Of course, I don't know what your situation is. That idea may not work for what you want to do.....
I have 2 sets of wheels and tires for the Duster, one with drag radials (295x50R15) and the other with slicks (29x10.50). They are 15x10 and 5" backspace for the DR's and 5.5" backspace for the slicks and fit fine (tucked with no poke). I just want them tucked in more now that I have mini tubbed the car.

The Dart has the standard width 8 3/4 and 15x8 ralleys that have 5.5" back space and 275x60r15's that are also tucked. If I ran the 9" out of the Duster (2" narrowed), I could go to a 4.5" backspace ralley wheel which looks way better in my opinion. If I went to a 2" narrower axle on the Duster, I could really stuff the wheels and tires I already have....or I could just leave everything alone and just run it.... lol

For sale is different than sold though. I feel like someone would be nuts to pay $3500 for a complete 8 3/4". I'd say half of what it would cost to build is reasonable if it's still in new condition.

Just going off of parts I've bought and sold for the last 20 years.
I agree with your assessment. This axle would cost $3500+ to replicate and it has extremely low miles on it since being built. I wouldn't sell it for less than $2500 and based on everyone's opinion on what it's worth, looks like it is staying under the Dart. :thumbsup:

Don’t forget now ppl are asking $750.00 - $900.00 for used/rebuilt units with only new gears and used suregrip or used gears and a new unit. I agree it’s worth $2500.00. But when u can build or buy a D60 for that the 8.75 I s a tough sell. I would just use it and be happy. Kim

Don’t forget now ppl are asking $750.00 - $900.00 for used/rebuilt units with only new gears and used suregrip or used gears and a new unit. I agree it’s worth $2500.00. But when u can build or buy a D60 for that the 8.75 I s a tough sell. I would just use it and be happy. Kim
I've got a quiet set of 3.91s in a 742 case with a like new Detroit locker in it. The new Detroit is $800. I wouldn't let my center go for $1000, but the rest of the rear is hardly worth $500.
If I ever get around to it, the 3.91s will go into an a-body housing I've got for my Barracuda, and a 3.54 dana 60 goes into my b-body

on the heels of that, as a buyer, if the used price is more then 75% of the new price, im forking over the extra coin to buy new
for that little difference, im not gonna risk using used parts
oh, fully agree on that!

-
Back