8 3/4 -- What gears should I run?

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
I just picked up an A-body 8 3/4 for my dart but it has 2.76 open gears, so they've got to go. I'm trying to decide what gears to run, but let me give you a little bit of information first.

Mild 318/727
The 318 will not stay in forever because I think I want more power.
Ideally when finished with the car I'd like to be in the mid-high 11's.
Car is mostly street, but by no means a daily driver, and will see some track time.
It has a 741 carrier holding the 2.76's.
Sure-grip is a must.

Given that information, what gears would you recommend? Any specific brand?

What RPM do would you like to run on the free way? How tall of a tire you running?

I would say some ting like a 3.23 or 3.55 is the way to go on a car that sees the street most of the time.

I'm turning right at 3000 as it is. I think wheel + tire is like 24 inch if I remember correctly. Highways RPM isn't much of a concern to me, though I have considered buying an additional carrier so I can swap gears if I need/feel like making a trip.

355s is my favorite all around gear. that is with the right combination tho. but thats just my two cents

What type of driving do you do most? If your not on the freeway doing 70+ alot I would stick with the 3.55 ratio. Pretty descent torque with the right setup and not entirely non highway friendly.

Well that leaves it wide open. LOL

Them tires are on the short side for 11's. I would try for around a 26' or so tall one.

For the track a set of 4.10 would be the wa to go. That should put you going through the traps at about 6000 RPM with a 26 tall tire.

For the street some thing like I said before would be a good way to go as them 4.10 on the road will have you turning 3500RPM at around 65 MPH. Again thats all with a 26 tall tire.

Mmkay, that's kind of along the lines that I was thinking. Anybody familiar with the Auburn units?

I just picked up an A-body 8 3/4 for my dart but it has 2.76 open gears, so they've got to go. I'm trying to decide what gears to run, but let me give you a little bit of information first.

Mild 318/727
The 318 will not stay in forever because I think I want more power.
Ideally when finished with the car I'd like to be in the mid-high 11's.
Car is mostly street, but by no means a daily driver, and will see some track time.
It has a 741 carrier holding the 2.76's.
Sure-grip is a must.

Given that information, what gears would you recommend? Any specific brand?

For all around driveability I'd go with 3.55s.....for flying through the traps quickly you'd want 4.11s or 4.56s.

-
Back