8 3/4 which bearings to use?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I bought an a-body housing then picked up a 3.91 sure grip and I want to get it put together asap. But I dont want the 4" bolt pattern axles that came with it. I've seen them (4.5") online for sale with green bearings already installed or just plain (like on Summit). Should I just get bare axles and then buy the old school cheaper bearings or should I be gettin the new green bearings?

Also - I was gonna throw it together and run as is (I have a couple of small bolt pattern wheels) but the end play was sloppy and I couldnt figure out how to adjust it. I dont think this housing/axles came with passenger side adjuster, and I've heard they are hard to find now? The green bearing set-up doesnt require the adjuster right? Someone set me straight please...

Correct, the green bearings don't need adjusters, but they are not for street use! They should only be used for something like drag racing. Definitely not for regular use on the street. There was a great story about this in one of the Mopar mags a few years ago (by REhrenburg as I recal).

Call Dr. Diff, he's referenced in this thread. Cass is a great guy to deal with.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=197169

Axles with long studs and green bearings installed for 295-300+ 40 shipping.

The green bearings work fine, other makes use that style bearing and they don't seem to be broken on the side of the road. That Mopar Action article is another in a long line of CYA journalism. There are MANY of us that have used green for MANY years and not had rampant failures. Maybe we are the exceptions, like the FMJ fallacy.

The green bearings will be fine for moderate street driving. If you were running a road course all the time then I would say go with the roller bearings.

As CB said call Dr Diff, he is the guru.

Call Dr. Diff, he's referenced in this thread. Cass is a great guy to deal with.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=197169

Axles with long studs and green bearings installed for 295-300+ 40 shipping.

The green bearings work fine, other makes use that style bearing and they don't seem to be broken on the side of the road. That Mopar Action article is another in a long line of CYA journalism. There are MANY of us that have used green for MANY years and not had rampant failures. Maybe we are the exceptions, like the FMJ fallacy.

crackedback: I agree, we had a long debate on this site some time ago. Green bearings work fine on a street car. I've run them as have others here with no complaints. Go figure Mopar Action.

A lot of aftermarket axles require the use of green bearings (not sure why but apparently their machined in a manner that doesn't allow the use of stock tapered bearings) so you have to use them and as cracked said other manufacturers used them a lot and they last a long time. No need to shy away from them because 1 magazine says to, unless your running a road course as like badsport said.

Couldn’t one have a shop redrill existing axel for 4 ½ inch bolt pattern?

Couldn’t one have a shop redrill existing axel for 4 ½ inch bolt pattern?

I wish. I dont know. If anyone knows that this can be done, please reply.

I plan to ask my machine shop to redrill my drums for the 4.5" bolt pattern since I've heard that can be done. My housing came with 10 X 2" brakes so I think they be good if I can get the pattern drilled

I wish. I dont know. If anyone knows that this can be done, please reply.

I plan to ask my machine shop to redrill my drums for the 4.5" bolt pattern since I've heard that can be done. My housing came with 10 X 2" brakes so I think they be good if I can get the pattern drilled

Drums would be fine to redrill but see my post above for the axle.

Dave

That's not really recommended because the bolts end up to far to the edge of the flange.

Dave

Don't put knurled studs in the axles. Have the axles drilled/tapped to 1/2 and use screw in studs.

I've run low 11's with redrilled sbp axles going old style with knurled studs. Never busted anything.

Don't put knurled studs in the axles. Have the axles drilled/tapped to 1/2 and use screw in studs.

I've run low 11's with redrilled sbp axles going old style with knurled studs. Never busted anything.

I'll have to look into that, screw in studs would make a guy feel better. I have a set of axles.
Dave

-
Back