8-3/4 with no gear oil :(

-
I appreciate the offer, but it wouldn't feel right ;) It's not like I'm going to be homeless or hungry, after all.

I am seriously considering just shipping it off to Cass and having him work his magic (again). There are just so many ways I could get it wrong and end up with whiny gears or worse. In 40 years of turning my own wrenches I've never set up a rear... may not be worth learning now.

I appreciate the offer, but it wouldn't feel right ;) It's not like I'm going to be homeless or hungry, after all.

I am seriously considering just shipping it off to Cass and having him work his magic (again). There are just so many ways I could get it wrong and end up with whiny gears or worse. In 40 years of turning my own wrenches I've never set up a rear... may not be worth learning now.
Sorry to hear this happened, as others have said we've all made a mistake by forgetting something. Yours just happened to be an expensive one. If you haven't set up any gears and don't have the tools to do it you might as well bite the bullet and have a professional cause it ain't easy getting them just right without past experience. Just .002" off on the pinion depth can cause a whine

Had a co-worker do his own oil change for the first time. Well, he drained the transmission instead of the crankcase oil-burned up the tranny-**** happens.

Had a co-worker do his own oil change for the first time. Well, he drained the transmission instead of the crankcase oil-burned up the tranny-**** happens.

So then I guess he overfilled the engine then, because he would have caught the transmission otherwise.

Well... I sent the chunk off to Cass, and he rebuilt it last Friday. Fortunately I noticed on the invoice that there had been a screw-up and someone put 3.55 gears in it when it came in with, and was supposed to leave with, 3.91 :eek: It was pulled off the loading dock before UPS came, luckily. I am glad I didn't receive it, bolt it in, go for a drive and THEN find out it had the wrong gears...

But it didn't get redone and shipped until this afternoon. Now the projected delivery date is next Tuesday! I swear if I wasn't having bad luck with this project, I wouldn't have any luck at all :BangHead:
Although (as noted in another thread), I installed Caltrac copies while the chunk was out, and discovered that Moser had made defective welds with absolutely no penetration on both perches. One just fell off when the U-bolts were removed. So I guess that's the silver lining :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I'm picking up my freshly painted (body color) AAR Fiberglass hood with six-pak scoop. I saw it before paint and it was pretty straight with no major dings or scratches anywhere. So at least I have something else I can tinker with while waiting again for the rear. The weather sucks lately anyway.

Neighbor did the same thing. Added another 5 quarts to the crankase. Trany started making noise in short order . 4 speed manual with grany gear

A woman i know has a farm, was topping the rad off, poured a gallon of coolant into the fuel tank. same woman filled the rad overflow on her truck with washer fluid. Brand new truck. Some kind of 58 dollar/ gallon fiat engineered coolant.

Garage i worked at didnt have a filter for a car.i went to get one down the block at the parts store. He lowers car and fires it up to back out the realizes no filter. His fault due to no filter, but my fault because i didnt tag it. He never lowers cars and backs them out.

I was doing some tune-up work on my slant six in an apartment parking lot way back in 1981... a guy came over and asked for help with his car. He was trying to change the oil for the first time, took out a plug and drained it into a pan, but said the dipstick was still full before he put any oil in it. :rolleyes:
Even before I smelled the (gear) oil it was pretty obvious he'd taken out the wrong drain plug. And we didn't have any way to remove the fill plug or put the oil back in with just basic hand tools... he ended up being towed to a shop. Oh well, live and learn!
Have u repacked the wheel bearings? Or r they the green type. Kim
No worries, they are Green.

Dang that sucks but it happens I had a 7 1/4 chipped a gear and slit the diff cover spilling all the oil out, drove 20 miles no oil, but probably cause it had been in oil for over 50 years if it where fresh with no oil probably would of locked real quick.

I screwed up big-time... While building my Dart over a 22 year period off & on, somehow I'd forgotten to put the gear oil in my new Dr. Diff 8-3/4, and it locked up yesterday after driving less than five miles on straight dirt roads at 25-35 mph :(

Got it towed home, pulled the wheels, drums, driveshaft. By then it was cooled down and had un-frozen, and I can turn the pinion, but not with my fingers. I stuck my finger in the hole as far as I could reach and no oil. So at a minimum the pinion bearing is toast, and probably the carrier bearings too. :BangHead:

My plan is to pull the pig (halfway there already) and get a bearing/seal kit from Cass. I had spec'ed the crush sleeve eliminator so I don't have to worry about that. The Sure-Grip should be OK since it wasn't doing anything in a straight line. But what are the chances that my ring & pinion are junk also?

I've never set up a rear before (and wasn't planning to learn this month) :rolleyes: but I'll have to check the pattern and backlash once I replace the bearings. The alternative is to ship that heavy chunk both ways and pay for labor too...

Any thoughts?
thanks
Charles

NO Problem. There's a recipe to fix that. Just get some nice dry sawdust, soak it in 140 weight over night, stuff the pig full, put the plug in and you're good to go.

:thumbsup:

No **** I did that once with my model A

NO Problem. There's a recipe to fix that. Just get some nice dry sawdust, soak it in 140 weight over night, stuff the pig full, put the plug in and you're good to go.

:thumbsup:

No **** I did that once with my model A
Oh yeah, sure... :realcrazy:
That might quiet the howling from the worn gear teeth, but the pinion bearings were surely trashed and the sawdust won't help them.
Also I suspect your model A didn't have quite the hp that my big-cam 451 does :poke:

Oh yeah, sure... :realcrazy:
That might quiet the howling from the worn gear teeth, but the pinion bearings were surely trashed and the sawdust won't help them.
Also I suspect your model A didn't have quite the hp that my big-cam 451 does :poke:

Sheeesh you didn't think I was serious did you? :rolleyes:

Theres also bananas. And felt packed inside housing. I have heard stories of all kinds.
Stuff people did to sell vehicles. I guess they still do it.

honestly im sorry for your oversight, but **** happens.
Get it fixed and move on. Thats what i would do. And have done.

no good the way it was, right?

just put it on the list of i wont do that again...

-
Back