8.75 741 case strength?

-

03JeepJeep

It's a hoot!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was searching my local classifieds and found a rear end (need to upgrade the 7.25). It's a 8.75 with a 741 case 2.73 gears and non sure grip he wants for $400 for it. I guess I had a few questions about it before I spend that kind of clam on something. It'll be going in a 72 dart with a slightly stock 318 (has intake, 4bbl carb, and exhaust) and 904 trans.

It's it worth the money? Don't want to buy something if it's not what I should get.

Would the 741 case be strong enough? I read that they are the weakest case, I don't plan on tearing things up but maybe the occasional stop sign pull.

If I would get is I would want to change gears and slap a sure grip in it, would that cause to much trouble?

If you guys and gals could think of anything I should I'm all ears.

Thanks
Hootie.

741's are plenty strong but gear selection is tough. A complete A-body 8 3/4 with brakes is worth close to $400 to me. Yes you will spend more money buying a sure grip and maybe changing the ratio but if it gets tou down the road for now that's a plus.

Lets set the 741 case aside for a moment. Do you really want a 2.73, open rear end?

I wouldn't pay $200 for it.

Not really, but try and find a 8.75 read that's 3.27 sure grip that's not a grand or more in Indiana...or any rear for an a body

Hootie, I can't comment on the going rate these days, but the 741 case is plenty strong for your combo. As long as your getting a "A" body housing that's a bolt in, your in good shape. If it comes with backing plates, brakes, drums, etc.....all the better. It should be fine to get you down the road for now. Keep in mind, driveshaft length will be a issue with the swap also.

First, 2.73 and 3.27 gears are not 8.75 gears. You need to arm yourself with correct knowledge before you make s purchase, otherwise, your chance of getting ripped off is greater. The 741 case is plenty strong. An 8.75 is an 8.75.

Even though the 741 case is the weakest of the 8-3/4 cases doesn't mean it's a weak case. I've seen them stand up to racers running in the high 10's. Something overlooked so often when talking about a 741 case is the fact that the pinion in it is still larger than a Ford 9" pinion. The only thing the Ford has going for it is a 3rd support bearing.

If this is a complete rearend $400 is a fair price even in spite of the hwy gears and open differential IMO...

First, 2.73 and 3.27 gears are not 8.75 gears. You need to arm yourself with correct knowledge before you make s purchase, otherwise, your chance of getting ripped off is greater. The 741 case is plenty strong. An 8.75 is an 8.75.

I'm here to learn sir, what gears could a stock rear have then? He say that they are a 2.73 in the chunk now

I use a 741 case on my Dart with a 340 4 speed. Ran the best of 12.4 on drag radials with 3.23 gears. Nothing broke yet and I'm not easy on it one bit.

I'm here to learn sir, what gears could a stock rear have then? He say that they are a 2.73 in the chunk now
They could be 2.76 or 2.91's or maybe he meant 3.73's,regardless $400 for the whole rear is a deal and a bolt in big advantage for you and its MOPAR...buy it put it in and if you dont like the gears you can always change them out,should be a tag on 3rd member identifying the ratio[may be missing ] but will be stamped on the ring gear the ratio it is if factory set up,the 741 will last you forever with your set-up[providing its in good working order ] and with tons af room to improve upon it should you 'beef up your combo' in future...if it's a complete rear-end for 400 bucs I wouldnt think about it too long or it will be gone...and if its local even better,you will need to get new u-bolts[2 pairs] and hopefully it comes with or he has the shockplates to match rear-end....good luck

they would be 2:76 gears most likely. The whole set-up is a good start never the lass, but make sure you get the spring and shock absorber perches as well with the U bolts, otherwise you'll be spending an extra 100. or so hunting them down...

If it's an A body 8 3/4 for 400 bones, buy it, especially if it's complete.

That would sell for 2 to 3 times that north of you. I see them listed quite often here in MI for 800 to 1200 bucks.

Yes and like Joey said try to get the shock mount plates. I'm not real particular about the U bolts though. They are usually rusted to hell. Technically, they are only supposed to be used once. If they are in excellent condition though, I would snag them if they are available. If not, General Spring sells them very reasonable. I just got a large set to mount my Dana 70 under my rat truck. They were less than 60 bucks shipped. That included nuts and washers. Yours will be cheaper because they will be shorter, narrower and smaller in diameter.

741 case is fine. You can break anything if you want to but for street use and occasional track use it will do you just fine. Just keep your eyes open for a sure grip unit. I think all will fit. And motive gears has 3.73 and 3.55 sets. Let's face it, anything is better than the 7.25

The 741 case is plenty strong and will survive behind any street driven 318 no problem. Here's some reading material that will put things into perspective:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

Even the Infamous GM 12-bolt has a similar size pinion and bearings! by the way, I have a 741 factory SG unit that came in buddy's 69 Cuda Formula S and it has 2.94 gears.

The only real practical disadvantage to a 741 case over 742 or 489 case is the gear selection. If you want to use real high (numerically) gears like in the 5's or whatever for a drag car, you'll probably be out of luck. But there's enough gear ratio selections available for a 741 for a street car that you'll be fine.

I agree with everyone else here just measure it to make sure it's an abody.Any "pig" will fit it so put it in,drive it and look around for a complete center section.It wouldn't last five minutes around here for that price.

Good point. Measure it to make sure it's A-body. Some other sizes (all other things being equal) don't fetch as high of prices. Example, a few weeks ago, I picked up a complete '67 B-body 8.75 open rear with 742 case for $125. Maybe a slightly good deal, but it would not have brought the easy $400+ an A-body one would have brought in this area.

-
Back