8.75 assembly

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys im getting close to assembling my 8.75 and had some questions!

how can i install the new races in the housing and R&R the axle bearings?

also install new studs in axle ends and center for dropout??

thx guys

The races don't get installed in the housing. They are installed onto the bearing between the bearing and retainer plate. They stay there and just slip in and out of the housing. To remove them you have to cut off the bearing retainer and then press the bearing off then the race comes off. Reverse for assembly.

The races don't get installed in the housing. They are installed onto the bearing between the bearing and retainer plate. They stay there and just slip in and out of the housing. To remove them you have to cut off the bearing retainer and then press the bearing off then the race comes off. Reverse for assembly.

oh! i thot the race was pressed! cool. so u just cut off that "ring" thing off and press on/off bearing?

Yep that's basically it. I use a pneumatic cut off tool but you have to be super careful you don't cut into the axle and weaken it. Or let it skip across the seal area and ruin it. Even after you cut off the retainer ring the bearings can sometimes be stubborn to get off if they are original. The last one I did I had to cut the bearing off too cause it was original and frozen to the axle. The axle was fine after I got it off. Don't take much rust to make an already tight part really hard to get off.

Yep that's basically it. I use a pneumatic cut off tool but you have to be super careful you don't cut into the axle and weaken it. Or let it skip across the seal area and ruin it. Even after you cut off the retainer ring the bearings can sometimes be stubborn to get off if they are original. The last one I did I had to cut the bearing off too cause it was original and frozen to the axle. The axle was fine after I got it off. Don't take much rust to make an already tight part really hard to get off.

so spraying with penitrating oil is a good idea!

I generally cut off the retainer with a wheel and then grind a flat spot in bearing center so I can remove the individual bearings with a needlenose plier. Once that`s done you can cut the bearing cage away with sidecutters and remove the race. Usually from there you can press the bearing off or drive it off with a punch. The new bearings will have to be packed and pressed on. Don`t forget the axle flanges!!!

-
Back