8.75" Installation

-

stimpy29

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 8 3/4 rear-end from a friend of mine. It hasn't been used in quite some time, but everything seems to work/spin freely. Prior to installing this on my car, is there some type of maintenance or checks you would recommend while the unit is not attached to any vehicle? (applying grease, etc.)

Thanks for your help.

Make sure it is what you want....4" vs. 4.5" out of an "A" body or will work with your wheel/tire combo. Spring perches (43" for the A) are correct. Then, inspect and most likely change axle seals...these leak and geat gear oil all over brakes...not good. Hopefully not the tapered/early axles...I'd pull the center section and check wear pattern, bearings, spyders and then it is easy to confirm ratio and if equipped with L.S.

Also while you have the axles out changing the seals might as well grease the wheel bearings.

Chuck

Make sure it is what you want....4" vs. 4.5" out of an "A" body or will work with your wheel/tire combo. Spring perches (43" for the A) are correct. Then, inspect and most likely change axle seals...these leak and geat gear oil all over brakes...not good. Hopefully not the tapered/early axles...I'd pull the center section and check wear pattern, bearings, spyders and then it is easy to confirm ratio and if equipped with L.S.
Thanks a bunch for your quick reply. The setup was originally from a stock 68 Formula S Barracuda and I plan to install it in my 69 Barracuda so I'm hoping that it will be made to match. With respect to checking the center section for wear, to be honest, I wouldn't know what to look for. Would you be able to point in the direction of some guides/pictures or other resources. How do you tell if it is equipped with L.S.? I'm pretty sure it is a suregrip rearend.

James

-
Back