8.75 Interchange

-

whitedawg

Reaction score
I know this has got to be old news but went back thru archive and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for besides after looking at a couple charts the numbers dont match.
Will the 8.75 from a mid 60's Barracuda fit the 73 Duster
Thanx

The housing itself is a bolt-in. Axles are still SBP.

Okay since Im new to A Bodies what are the difference/ pros and cons between the small bolt and big bolt pattern. If I use the Barracuda 8.75 will swapping the axels to BBP be feasible
Thanx

You either have to re-drill the drums and axles to the larger bolt pattern or get aftermarket axles. If you get aftermarket axles you may have to run green bearings and also change to the wider brakes.

the later disk brake cars are BBP big bolt pattern or 5 on 4 1/5 inches, there are a lot more wheel options available in this size, the early drum brake and kelsey hayes 4 piston disk brake cars were SBP small bolt pattern 5 on 4 inches
there are much fewer wheel options in this size, BBP axles are available for an 8 3/4 rear and you can use C-body drums and backing plates and the later BBP disk brakes are easier to get parts for

As far as I'm concerned the only disadvantage to using the 4" bolt circle is your choice of wheels is limited to 3 or 4. But since I like Cragar SS's and you can still get them in 4" I'm not about to change.

Okay since Im new to A Bodies what are the difference/ pros and cons between the small bolt and big bolt pattern. If I use the Barracuda 8.75 will swapping the axels to BBP be feasible
Thanx

The only benefit to LBP that I know of is rim choice, and trust me I know the rim choice is very limited for SBP... It is very easy to swap axles to the LBP, new axles are available from various manufacturers, I think most want you to switch bearing type too(from tapered roller to sealed). You could also use stock LBP axles but as far as I know they are all to long and would have to be shortened(Might cost more than new ones and I wouldn't even bother). Then you can get the 10" drums in LPB or you can upgrade to the 11" by changing the backing plates and all the hardware.

I was going to do this soon but I may have found some rims I can use for now to get my dart rolling again and save some cash.

The only rim I was really interested in the MOPAR Ralley wheel, if thats the case the case then the SBP shouldnt be an issue. Trying to do this inital build on a budget with parts and sources I have acess to.
Thanx

Whitedawg, your 73 Duster should have LBP on the front, and therefore you should try to get the same for the rear. It's not necessary, but it helps should you get a flat to have a one spare fits all. Don't get me wrong, I have small bolt on 2 cars and I have no problems, but if you already got the big bolt on front, make that your goal in back, even if it's an axle change down the line. Good luck with your project, Geof

If the 73 Duster has drum brakes up front, it's a small bolt pattern.

the biggest advantage with BBP (besides rim choice) is that it allows you to use the late style front disk brakes

Thanx Geoff, good point about spares. All good food for thought
Thanx

Had a buddy that with a BBP, SBP car, he carried a wheel adapter in the trunk with his spare. Great motivator to get the tire fixed promptly. 8)

-
Back