8.75 Pinion Checking Distance

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find the spec on the 8.75 Checking Distance for setting the Pinion Depth.

Setting up a new case with swap meet sourced gears and case.
Gears have no stamping of + or - and no checking dimension stamped on gear either.

Thanks for your help.

I know How to set with pattern, I just wanted to save time by getting the distance correct first.
Greg

Hello, I am trying to find the spec on the 8.75 Checking Distance for setting the Pinion Depth.

Setting up a new case with swap meet sourced gears and case.
Gears have no stamping of + or - and no checking dimension stamped on gear either.

Thanks for your help.

I know How to set with pattern, I just wanted to save time by getting the distance correct first.
Greg
If the pinion has no marks you need to guess. What case and what manufacture of the gear are you dealing with?

Hello. Case is is a 489 oe case.. not sure what year.

Ring and pinion is also oe mopar.. again not sure what year.. it does have a part# on it.

Greg

If you have the old bearing ream it out so it slides on and off the pinion.

Start with the original shims from your old gears.

Replace the crush sleave with a crush sleave Eliminator.

Check the side of the pinion gear or ring gear for a shiny spot with numbers on it that will tell you where to set the pinion.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks for the tips.

I can start at 0.020 and go from there.

I have a setup bearing that is honed out for slip fit.

I also have the sleeve eliminator kit. I cant start with shims removed from gears as i biugth the gears loose at swap meet.
I will inspect ring and pinion for more markings or stampings.

Thanks, Greg

I'm talking about the pinion gear that you took out of your pumpkin.

If you still have the original pinion from your housing. start with those shims that's under that bearing.

I'm talking about the pinion gear that you took out of your pumpkin.

If you still have the original pinion from your housing. start with those shims that's under that bearing.

Sorry. I misunderstood. That 3rd member was a swap meet piece too. Bare case.. no bearings, gears etc.. just case side adjusters and diff bearing caps.

Greg

I had the same situation that you're facing in the past.
I called dr. Diff to find out where to start and at the same time I purchase some shims from him.
I forget now where he told me to start I'm sorry. Give him a call.

-
Back