8.75 question - what gives???

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
8.75 with 741 open diff.... tearing down to replace seals and bearings but I am stuck getting the 2nd axle shaft out. What holds this in place? The other just slipped right out?
Judging by the axle shaft that came out... I'm assuming the bearings need pressed onto the shafts... can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
Clark

8.75 with 741 open diff.... tearing down to replace seals and bearings but I am stuck getting the 2nd axle shaft out. What holds this in place? The other just slipped right out?

Slide the drum on and start the lug nuts, use it a slide hammer, so to speak, to start the axle moving.

Judging by the axle shaft that came out... I'm assuming the bearings need pressed onto the shafts... can someone confirm this for me?

You are correct.

Thanks,
Clark

Just got the shaft out. The bearings are shot. I can grab them and wiggle them about 1/4". Is there are perferred replacement kit out there? I read something about green bearings or should I just go with the Mopar replacement kit through Summit?

Not unusual for them to have wiggle in tapered bearings-if that is what you have.Look at the rollers to see if you have pits/scars.Also look at the race to see if it has scars on it also.

...........yes its normal to have that much wiggle as when u adjust them up with the axle adjuster on the passenger side that play is taken out.....[.003 to .010 is the measurement].........kim......

Do they appear dry and a little rusty maybe? Like d5667 said inspect them for pits, scarring. Push the race down tight onto the rollers and turn it back and forth, does it feel gritty or is it smooth in movement?

Pic maybe?

Oldkimmer is right , do not repace them just because you can move it, straight roller bearings are like that , i would just put new seals in the housing , putter back together , set you end play adjustment , make sure you have a pointer to lock the nut , way you go .Oh do not forget your 80w90 , and additive. I had a s t load of 83/4s over the last 30 years and never changed an axle bearing.

They are gritty and the bearings all but fall out.

If you change the bearings you have two options original or the green sealed bearings. If you are not canyon carving, road racing with it then the greens would be fine.

-
Back