8.75 rear end shocks

-

Joshua Suehs

Reaction score
swapping out the shocks on my 73 swinger and realizing that the original (new) shocks do not fit the rear end that was swapped in. It was swapped before I bought it so I am unsure of the year. All I know is that the eye hole the is on the frame is the same as the eye hole on the axle. I looked online but they don’t have the eye hole I.D.’s so I was hoping some of you know the shock part #. The ID is the eye holes are 17 mm. Anyone have an idea. I searched the forums and found nothing. Thanks for the help in advance. I’m looking for KYB’s to much the front that I already did. Thanks!

Last edited:
swapping out the shocks on my 73 swinger and realizing that the original (new) shocks do not fit the rear end that was swapped in. It was swapped before I bought it so I am unsure of the year. All I know is that the eye hole the is on the frame is the same as the eye hole on the axle. I looked online but they don’t have the eye hole I.D.’s so I was hoping some of you know the shock part #. The ID is the eye holes are 17 mm. Anyone have an idea. I searched the forums and found nothing. Thanks for the help in advance. I’m looking for KYB’s to much the front that I already did. Thanks!
I originally ordered a kg5511 and the show did not fit the mount on the axel (it was too small) I am ordering a kg 5512 that I think is used in the b and e bodies. Does anyone know if these are larger ID. Mount holes?

Should be the same for any A body leaf spring rear end. Try some WD-40 when pushing them on. B and E body use a bolt through the top with a metal sleeve inside the bushing. The bottom mount is the same on all. As far as I know. Can you post a picture of the offending mount?

Should be the same for any A body leaf spring rear end. Try some WD-40 when pushing them on. B and E body use a bolt through the top with a metal sleeve inside the bushing. The bottom mount is the same on all. As far as I know. Can you post a picture of the offending mount?

Here are the upper and lower mounts . You can see the kg5511 has the metal liner in the bushing that is the same OD as the mount itself. The picture shows a side by side of the new vs what came off. I dont think pushing the sleeve out is an option.

1B72EB41-A85E-4864-B7D8-E6C1F06D4997.jpeg

94E6CFEA-098B-4445-B429-90561A6A3434.jpeg

CD5ED23C-3733-4D90-BD48-44FC4AD69ECE.jpeg

Might not be what you need to know but bear with me... Some 40 years ago I was given a pair of air shocks by a friend that I believe were for a B body and they had a smaller i.d. eye on the top. I was working at a machine shop at the time so I pulled the upper shock studs and Turned them down. Stupid, I know put I was a kid making minimum wage and couldn't pass up Free shocks. Anyway, I still own the car and am in the process of getting it back on the road. I bought new studs and am looking for shocks myself. I have a '72 Demon and should use the same shock as your '73. Both eyes should be the same size. If not... could someone have done the same to your upper mounts? That's way too hard to believe. Still, both the top and bottom mounts should be the same size, I believe. I will say, your upper mount does look a bit different than mine but looking up shock part numbers, they should take the same shock. Hope you get it figured out... Blessings.

Might not be what you need to know but bear with me... Some 40 years ago I was given a pair of air shocks by a friend that I believe were for a B body and they had a smaller i.d. eye on the top. I was working at a machine shop at the time so I pulled the upper shock studs and Turned them down. Stupid, I know put I was a kid making minimum wage and couldn't pass up Free shocks. Anyway, I still own the car and am in the process of getting it back on the road. I bought new studs and am looking for shocks myself. I have a '72 Demon and should use the same shock as your '73. Both eyes should be the same size. If not... could someone have done the same to your upper mounts? That's way too hard to believe. Still, both the top and bottom mounts should be the same size, I believe. I will say, your upper mount does look a bit different than mine but looking up shock part numbers, they should take the same shock. Hope you get it figured out... Blessings.

That would have worked too! I thought about just pulling the sleeves out of the top of the shock, but then being on here and doing some research (Buying different ones and comparing) i found out that it was for a Bbody, but the part was a KYB KG5512 in a KYB KG5511 box. After returning that, and the set of 5512's that I bought, the new 5511's showed up and matched the application! Thanks for the advice thought! I always like to fix problems "in house" instead of going through the trouble of "buying my way out of it" but this was actually a good mystery to solve! Thanks!

-
Back