8.75 Sure Grip Help

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Pick up my pumpkin (741, 3.91 cone type) about two years ago and had it benched tested and set up at a qualified diff place. Yesterday did a "little" smokey up the driveway and noticed that there was only one strip from the pass side (sh*t). I jacked up the (drivers) side only, with brake off and in gear and couldn't rotate the tire (which in my mine is a good thing for posi type)??
Next I lefted both tires, out of gear and they turned in the same direction.
Should I be still happy? or could something still not be right here? I thought just maybe the cones have worn to a point that they don't grab with a load anymore. Any other test I could do?
Thanks, Jim

pic4.JPG

The cone could be worn down and touching the case. I have read that you can pull it down and have the ends of the cones machined down and save the unit. There was an article in Mopar Muscle about it. I think i have it-will look and get back.

Thank guys, I'll take note, pull it out when have some time and investigate if it can be repaired.

Jimmy:
Update on that cone style sure grip. I emailed Chris at ART and the rebuild kit IS NOT for th cone style, since apparently they can't be rebuilt. Hmmmmmmmm. That sucks.

OldVart said:
Jimmy:
Update on that cone style sure grip. I emailed Chris at ART and the rebuild kit IS NOT for th cone style, since apparently they can't be rebuilt. Hmmmmmmmm. That sucks.

That "really" sucks. :sad: There's no doubt the guy knew they were going...(I hate that). :angryfir: I'll more then likely get an e-mail from Chris as well. I do have a 742 posi but the gears are 2.73 :thumbdow: I could bet there NO way that a guy could just "exchange" the cones between the two 741/742 cases to keep the same gears. I just enjoyed the 3.91s. Anyways Sid, thanks alot for your help my friend. Jim

actually, you can.

the only parts not interchangeable are the gears. I put the old clutch style sure-grip in my 489 case that originally had a cone-type. you just have to use the bearings that go with the differential unit if you swap it out. if you have 2 cone-style differentials, the bearings are the same anyway.

you could swap the cones from one to the other, but you'd be spinning your wheels (pun....heehee) because the differential halves are probably worn too. I'd swap the 2 differentials.

Alsp. I took the cone-type that I took out of the 489 case and machined the flat side down .060 to give it more life. it works, but not quite as well as a new unit.

green67cuda said:
actually, you can.

the only parts not interchangeable are the gears. I put the old clutch style sure-grip in my 489 case that originally had a cone-type. you just have to use the bearings that go with the differential unit if you swap it out. if you have 2 cone-style differentials, the bearings are the same anyway.

you could swap the cones from one to the other, but you'd be spinning your wheels (pun....heehee) because the differential halves are probably worn too. I'd swap the 2 differentials.

Alsp. I took the cone-type that I took out of the 489 case and machined the flat side down .060 to give it more life. it works, but not quite as well as a new unit.

Thanks green67cuda, That's better news, I'll take it in and do the .060 (if they will) first.

OldVart said:
Keep up posted on how that works out for you Jim.

Not a problem Sid, I'll be making a few phone calls on Monday and see what the rearend dudes at the shop have to say. :salut:

I found the article (finally,sorry) and they took the cones and had the ends machined down .060 and then made spacers to make up for the difference behind the side gear.
I don't know if this will help.

66dartman said:
I found the article (finally,sorry) and they took the cones and had the ends machined down .060 and then made spacers to make up for the difference behind the side gear.
I don't know if this will help.
Thanks for your effort and time 66dartman. I think i'll give a try what green67cuda stated and look for a clutch type to exchange.

OldVart said:
In the meantime, you might as well put on a few smoke shows with that peg-legger 3.91. :)
But...won't I "just" go in circles???? :wink: :laughing:

I've heard that if you crank the steering wheel in the opposite direction, it'll work out - no personal experience, just rumor. :)
When you pull that sucker out of there, make sure you have the digi cam handy cause I'd like to see exactly what gets done to this beastie. Looks like I'll end up with the same problem if I buy the 3.91 unit from 340Duster.
Good luck.

OldVart said:
I've heard that if you crank the steering wheel in the opposite direction, it'll work out - no personal experience, just rumor. :)
When you pull that sucker out of there, make sure you have the digi cam handy cause I'd like to see exactly what gets done to this beastie. Looks like I'll end up with the same problem if I buy the 3.91 unit from 340Duster.
Good luck.
Two old farts from Canada with peg legs. It's just not right :toothy6: Hay...the 40 Million is up for grabs. Just remeber me if ya win...J..I..M :evil4:

OldVart said:
Good luck.

clutch or cone type? i took plenty of pictures of my clutch-type sure-grip when i rebuilt it.

Peg-legs it is. I don't think I'll even bother buying a loto ticket for this one. If I won $40 million I'd have to go on a small drunk, then come back and decide what to do with the $1 million I'd have left. :) Decisions - decisions!!
greeen 67cuda: Thanks. Cone style - 741 style posi. But if I ever find a clutch style that needs a rebuild, I'll be bugging you for copies of those pics. :)

OldVart said:
Jim:
I found some more info on that cone style 8 3/4 sure grip for you. These guys advocate machining .030 from each cone then using spacers to take up the machining losses. Just some more reading for you. :)

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle/13.html
Thanks Sid, I have time to read...just may have to wait tell after the "fat" guy comes first anyways. :(

seeing how you have all winter to fix your sure grip , why not just put a set of 3.91 's into the 742 center section, this unit can be rebuilt and has clutch plates, other wise you are going to have the same problem again in a couple years with the 741 unit. just my thoughts on this.....

-
Back