8.75 Sure-Grip Options *489 case*

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
The second hand Sure-Grip 8.75 489 rear-end in my Duster only spins one side at the strip, I assume that it is worn out. Since this is the cone-style, I cannot rebuild it so can I buy a new unit to put in the 489 casing?

yes u can i also heard of people takein the cones to a machane shop and geting them machined look in to it and also heard people buyin rears that the spider gears were rusted and looked like it was a surgrip but was really a open

I have machined one worn out cone type and it worked fine afterwards. You also have to install shims as thick as the amount you machined off. If you don't choose to have it machined you can buy an aftermarket replacement sure-grip. Check out Dr.Diff or Randy's ring and pinion.

Is a replacement a simple bolt in, just take clamps off and slide out old and in new? Do I have to take the yoke out?

Is a replacement a simple bolt in, just take clamps off and slide out old and in new? Do I have to take the yoke out?

Well there's a little more to it than that but not alot. When you remove the old one you need to clean everything real good. Mark the caps so you put each side back on where it came from. Then take out the ring gear bolts and take the ring gear off the old S/G unit and put it on the new one. BTW: The ring gear bolts are left hand thread and you need to apply a little bit of loctite to the threads. You also need to clean up the threads good before you re-install them so you get a proper torque reading then torque them to 55 ft. lbs. Then install it and just snug down the cap bolts and preload the bearings then set the back lash using a dial indicator. The backlash clearance is .005-.007". Then torque them to 80 ft. lbs. You also need to apply a little loctite to the cap bolts.

Also keep in mind that very rarely does a new S/G unit come with bearings installed so you'll need to have new bearings pressed on.

-
Back