8.75 sure grip - question

-

rebuilder67

Reaction score
Guys I'm going to ask for a lot of help this year! I Haven't touched my project car for the past 5 years and I've had it for 10. I'm making a run at getting it done this year. A few years ago I bought an 8.75 3.23 ratio sure grip. My unit is a 8.75 limited slip. Same 3.23 ratio. The u-joint saddle on the sure grip is larger than my limited slip unit. I think it my have been out of a pickup or D100 or something?

Questions:
1. Can I just switch them over without any issues?
2. Will the pinion splines/thread pitch be the same?
3. Is there a crush sleeve or anything that will require me to do more than just change the saddle?

Appreciate any thoughts, and thanks!

Need more info. Is it a 489 housing? They made two different spline yokes, 10 and 29. If they are 489 than yes they have crush sleeve.

What casting rears are we talking? Limited slip is Sure Grip. Pictures? IMHO not worth swapping. There is a conversion U-Joint that will take care of the mismatch.

As others have said, it sounds like the conversion U joint is in order, no tearing down of the center section.

As mention , a conversion u-joint is the easiest solution. But I suggest you buy two and keep one in the trunk. Should you break down you won't find one at every parts store. 347 is the Precision part number.

Need more info. Is it a 489 housing? They made two different spline yokes, 10 and 29. If they are 489 than yes they have crush sleeve.

I mis-spoke. Mines a slip diff. The sure grip has bee gone thru with backlash setting friction discs, and seals. I think it's a 741 based on the casting #. I been out of the loop for 35 yrs. Forgot the little that I did know. Appreciate the help guys. I'll attach pics.

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

What casting rears are we talking? Limited slip is Sure Grip. Pictures? IMHO not worth swapping. There is a conversion U-Joint that will take care of the mismatch.

I mis-spoke. Mines a slip diff. The sure grip has bee gone thru with backlash setting friction discs, and seals. I think it's a 741 based on the casting #. I been out of the loop for 35 yrs. Forgot the little that I did know. Appreciate the help guys. I'll attach pics.

No crush sleeve in a 741 housing, but you need a huge torque wrench to tighten everything back up if you swap yokes. What casting number is open rear in the car? See post #3. I'd leave well enough alone and get the conversion U-Joint.

-
Back