8.8 Ford ranger in a 66 barracuda help

-

autistic baracuda

Autistic son josh
Reaction score
I was told a 8.8 Ford ranger rear diff would fit in place of the stock rearend of my sons 66 berracuda so I bought one first spring perches are on top of axle housings instead of below them which this barracuda is so very low in the rear u need to raise it to be able to put decent size wheels under it and of course shock mounts are different has anyone tried a ranger rear 8.8 in an early A-body car before I even attempted this for my son is it possible without alot of modifying

You have to change the perches from top to bottom, and I'm not sure about this, but one side of the housing has to be shortened because they are different lengths and the center is offset, and you need another short axle from another 8.8" rearend to replace the longer one!! Don't quote me on that but I believe that's what needs to happen, and you will have to have a driveshaft made as well!!

Sell it and find a 8.75 and cut it down if you cant find the correct one axle are not that expensive

I've looked for low cost ways of doing this since the 440 that's going in this has been getting costly I got this 8.8 out of a wrecked Ford ranger since I was told it was the closest way to being a direct swap I got the aluminum driveline too the rear of this car is very low and want to raise it to be able to use 7 inch wide slot mags I was hoping leaving the perches where they are it would raise the rear approx 3 inches and it would allow the wider rims and tires which actually would give it a level ride and the offset wouldn't let the driveline hit the tunnel with it being raised

Right now with the stock 13 inch wheels in the rear the rear quarter panels are approx 2 inches below the rim lip so a three inch lift would look just about right

There is much more to changing the rear end than just putting one in! If you were to just put this in under the springs, it would drastically change the pinion angle and undoubtably not work! How about buying some new leaf springs! The Mopar Performance XHD leaf springs are $250, which you undoubtably have in this 8.8" by the time you have it shortened and find another short axle for it! Just mounting it under the springs is not safe, not suggested and not plausible!! Heck, I've seen, and sold super stock springs for $125!! If you are going to do this project, and add a 440 to it, you need to think this through a little better, and do things right!!

Well there's nothing wrong with the rear diff in it but was told it will brake and when I found this 8.8 with aluminum driveline for 50 dollars and was told it's a direct bolt on so I bought it and yes the 440 motor is going in this car this is what my son wanted to do and build I only wish we found a bigger 2 door Dodge car to put it in we have to change so much

The 66 barracuda was the only car he could find in his price range and was told he could put in the 440 he built it now it's gotten to the point where it doesn't seem do able he an autistic kid that's 16 but high function and has had cancer issues all he wants to do is put together his own car and I'm just trying to help him

Bottom line, it's not a direct bolt in situation. You would need to change the axle width and likely the driveshaft length

Yes I knew about the driveline that was something I was expecting even before trying to put that 440 in that car lol but I was hoping that that rearend would of worked with minor changes

Yes I knew about the driveline that was something I was expecting even before trying to put that 440 in that car lol but I was hoping that that rearend would of worked with minor changes

I don't know what the width of your ranger rear end is, but look at the threads mentioned above, they will tell you what your A body width is. Just compare that to what you have and decide if you want to have it cut or not

Lol there is nothing easy about putting this 440 in that 66 barracuda but once I help my boy get it in it will be a pretty cool ride but him and I never knew it saw going to be so difficult

There's nothing easy about swapping anything into the cozy confines of the early A's engine bay! The factory single exhaust and manifolds are pitifully inept for anything high HP, headers are pricey, the inner fenders are right there in your face, the brakes and front suspension are marginal, and with a big block in there, all that will have to be beefed up! There are guys who have done this swap, but it means changing everything underneath, none of it will hold up to the extra weight and HP of the big block stuff! You need heavy duty stuff to do it right!! This is your son we are talking about here, very precious cargo, it needs to be safe!!!

I bought a 71 Dart from 2 good old boys up north in my state! It had a 440 built by Muscle motors under the hood where a slant 6 used to be!! You guessed it...9" drum brakes, slant 6 torsion bars and spindly suspension, and a 7 1/4" rear! It also had a full length dent down the passenger side from its only trip down the road, where they wound it up and put it into a ditch!! That motor is still in my buddies race car running 10's!! Moral of the story??....you gotta have the whole bull, not just the heart!!!

Weight was our first concern the 6 cylinder weighed 525 complete and the 440 weight was 675 complete so we junked the cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds and waterpump and housing now intake and waterpump and housing all aluminum which dropped I'm sure a little over 100 lbs so that put us closer in the ball park I know we need subframe connectors and better braking so I went for this rear diff it was a 50 dollars cost with a aluminum driveline and is a locker rearend and a 373 ratio and even though drum brakes at least there bigger and wider now trying to make it fit is an issue engine and trans all done built by my son and even with a stall converter and I was told stock rearend will not last long to that engine I'm at my wit's end with this car project

My sons dream is to put together his own car but too much wrong advice now he's getting to the point of giving up I only wish we found the right car to put this motor in

My sons dream is to put together his own car but too much wrong advice now he's getting to the point of giving up I only wish we found the right car to put this motor in

You can still do that! I remember this suggestion being made when you first posted about this Cuda a couple months ago!! It's not too late to rethink this and find a suitable body, most likely a B body!! Try to find one that's not a Charger or Roadrunner that commands a premimum price! 66-67 Coronets are still pretty reasonable and I've seen a few 66 Belvedere and Satellites lately that have been pretty reasonable!

I wish I could we have nothing left now to shop with this was a budget build for him to do in autoshop in school now it's home because of all he's going thru he was promised a 69 coronet and it fell thru while he started his motor project then he looked for months and found this 66 barracuda and was told the 440 could be put into it so he bought it I'm just lost now and don't know how to help him other than I bought this 8.8 Ford rearend and was told it would work now we found out it's going to take alot to make it work I would of never let him do this if I would of known one thing for sure it will be the first ever to be built by an autistic kid if he doesn't give up first

-
Back