80 volare suspension swap into dart?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow mopar guy that has a 80 2 dr volare with a 225/auto 60k original miles and one owner for 500 bucks and I can drive it home. I want it for my 70 swinger. I am going to build a slant for it. Will the 225 and tranny bolt into my dart? Better yet will the transverse torsion bar k-member bolt into my dart somehow? Anyone got some info on this?

bump, fell off the list in about 10min.:) I think there is a new member causing a stir!

The k member is a p.i.t.a to me at least. It's designed as a iso-mount, and bars aren't available that I'm aware of. Shouldn't be to much of a big deal with the motor. You can use the front disc brake setup for a swap. Might be able to use the rear. I'm using a Volare 8 1/4 in my early dart. It's a little wider than what I want but it came with my engine swap donor car.

Well, the big deal with the swap is my dart has a v8 k-member. Slant six members are different right? I don't have a slant six k-member and thought the volare swap might be easier and cheaper. Talk about a poorly planned plan, LOL. I have a 318 ready to drop in with 360 49cc heads and intake that should run fairly well on a stock 318 bottom end. With the heads it should bump up the compression to 9.8:1.

From a design standpoint, the F body K frame is a giant step backward, everything is mounted in rubber, no different rate T bars are available, and the design has a tendency towards bump steer. I would not be surprised if it was heavier also. What is the reasoning for wanting to go to this much trouble?
If you have a V8 K frame now, somebody would probably be more than willing to swap with you.
alan627b

I have no experience with the volare suspension and thought it would be equal or better than the older suspension in my dart. I guess I was wrong. Yes the whole reason is because I don't have the slant k-member.

About the only thing that the Aspen/Volare/ Diplomat front end is good for is an 48 thru 5? Ford pickup. Basically a bolt in.
For an A-Body it is best to use a 73-76 V8 disc brake spool mount K Frame.

....as i just purchased a 76 Volare Road Runner with buckets, center console, auto, and it has the factory 360 2 barrel. Don't think i've seen many with the 360. Might rebuild it.

Sure it will fit. Just sawzall all the decent parts of the earlier car and Jethro up the inferior parts and weld them in. Seriously, why the heck would you want to do this? the F-Bodies were terrible cars!!! The lawsuits and warranty claims that came from that god-awful front suspension were a major factor in the near demise of Chrysler in the late 70's.

If you are looking for an 68-72 slant K-member, and have V8 parts to trade, I doubt there will be any problem. Most people are doing the opposite swap.

Thanks for the info on the inferior volare front end. I was not aware of the issues or problems those front ends had. I'm just going to stick with what I have to keep costs down. I guess later down the road I can think about the bling bling engine:):)

I had a 78 runner (318 4 speed) and loved driving it. No issues with the suspension at all.

That lean burn mixed with gas containing MTBE is another story all together

-
Back