833 OD Hurst Stick Swap

-

66Kooda

Reaction score
View attachment 1715907674 View attachment 1715907675 Question: How is the stick removed? I'm looking to replace the longer angled one with a shorter straight version. I can see the two holes from above inside the car, but there isn't a bolt head or nut on either side. TIAView attachment 1715907675

IMG_6572.jpg

I have my OD shifter out of the truck, I can get some photos later tonight when I get out to the shop.

I have my OD shifter out of the truck, I can get some photos later tonight when I get out to the shop.
Thanks, thought I read something about pushing a steel shim or feeler gauge down the driver side of the stick to release it somehow...still doesn't make sense.

Thanks, thought I read something about pushing a steel shim or feeler gauge down the driver side of the stick to release it somehow...still doesn't make sense.

That is it. There is an angled sheet metal tang you have to press in to un-catch the lever.

That is it. There is an angled sheet metal tang you have to press in to un-catch the lever.
Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. Seems odd I couldn't find a video anywhere demonstrating this.

Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. Seems odd I couldn't find a video anywhere demonstrating this.

I just did this, this weekend. I also couldn't find a video. On the driver's side of the shifter handle, take a .010 feeler guage and stick it between the shifter handle and the metal tab. It will have to go down a ways, you will kind of feel it push down the tab. Then just pull the shifter out.

Here are the pics of my factory original OD shifter showing both sides. I believe it requires the feeler-gauge thing to do this. The above info I believe is correct on how to do this.

20220414_190949.jpg

20220414_190918.jpg

Correct. That unlocks the shift handle so you can pull it out. What part of that doesn't make sense?

I frikkin HATE them. I've drilled every one I've ever owned to the standard two bolt Hurst pattern at the shifter and bolted them in. When they've been there fifty plus years, sometimes they are a real BEAR to remove. Screw that noise. lol

In the pics that Halfafish posted see the little silver piece of metal sticking out? Slide a feeler gauge down between that and the handle. A good shot of WD40 first sure helps. Wiggle and pull hard being careful not to hit yourself in the face.

I frikkin HATE them. I've drilled every one I've ever owned to the standard two bolt Hurst pattern at the shifter and bolted them in. When they've been there fifty plus years, sometimes they are a real BEAR to remove. Screw that noise. lol
Good to know, because I’m about to order the the tower from Brewer that allows you to use the replacement sticks that have the two bolts. I thought the bottom of all the sticks were the same and I’d be able to just swap them out - Brewer tells me I need the tower with the thru holes.

-
Back