833 rebuild

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm getting the rebuild kit from Brewer's Performance. I never rebuilt one before do I need any special tools? Should I use the paper gaskets supplied in the kit or use RTV? What lubricant should I use in it? ATF was originally used, I have a book that says to use engine oil 20W-50 or a synthetic GL-4 gear oil.

you dont need any special tools. I took lots of pics for reference to put it back together. i used the paper gaskets from the kit and they leak. I am planning on pulling it and using a better gasket material. i dont know about using rtv. I ran the gear oil weight that the factory manual recommended. Synthetic

No special tools, paper gaskets work, RTV won't hurt, use 90 weight gear oil unless you drive in really cold weather. ATF works but parts wear faster, but should still last 100K.

yes their is something you need if you take out the cluster you need a shorter slitely smaller diameter shaft to hold the needle bearings in place wile you shove the shaft in. brewers has them or i could lend you mine. and if you can find a per of retaining ring plyers will save you some bad language. i don't know where you can get them. those rings are a real pain without the rite tool. i would also lend you them with a promise to return them.if you don't disassemble the main shaft you wont need the pliers

Back when I did my 833's I used a broom stick handle and cut it down. I used a lot of grease to keep the bearings in place.

I've heard that synthetic oil is too slick for the synchros and can cause gnashing.

You'll probably need a press to get the countershaft out, unless it's an overdrive.

I used a piece of 3/4" conduit to hold bearings in place on lower cluster, like mentioned above plenty of grease helps alot. Wayne at Brewers says never use any kind of sealant, just paper gaskets. Oil is supposed to have a GL4 rating or better, I have a post about 2 years ago with pic's on a rebuild, Ive done several since then, if you have question, alot of people here can help.

I used broom stick and condiut to hold the needle bearings in.........
I think now brewers sells the tool for like 11 bucks. Buy it

4-speeds is what he knows. Pick his brain for any other tools.

Buy a good set of snap ring pliars.
Harbor freight makes a bearing puller for around 40 bucks, you will need it.

There is a special tool to remove the reverse idler shaft.

Freeze the shaft and heat the bearings and it will go assemble properly.

There is a critical brass bearing in the input shaft that has about .001 tolerance, have a buddy with a pin gauge to check it, if out of tolerance it requires replacement and reeming to size.

The trans are easy to rebuild, but you have to have the right tools.

I think Wayne charges like $250 to rebuild a trans plus parts.

Tools are not cheap, but you have them for the next time.

you should remove the countershaft and reverse lever to replace the oil ring. its a pain but i don't like it to leak. i run aft fluid. ditto on snap ring pliers and you need a shaft to do the needle bearings right. i have a tool that is used to drive the rear support bearing in, if you are changing that one. after you have built 5 or so, you will know all the tricks!

Any special tips for doing an OD version?

Not really anything specific for an OD. Take your time when installing the shafts. If you slide the sycro assembly rings too far, the springs will spit the 3 sycro keys down into the housing and you'll be taking it all apart again...nevermind, you'll do that even though I warned you :lol: I did it like 3 times...:banghead:

There is a critical brass bearing in the input shaft that has about .001 tolerance, have a buddy with a pin gauge to check it, if out of tolerance it requires replacement and reeming to size.
Not trying to hijack but, i'm doing one now and my input shaft has loose needle bearings in it held in place by a ring. Do the later transmissions have a one piece bearing? Mine is an A-body 3.09 non OD.

Not trying to hijack but, i'm doing one now and my input shaft has loose needle bearings in it held in place by a ring. Do the later transmissions have a one piece bearing? Mine is an A-body 3.09 non OD.
No, they are the same as far as I know. Use grease to hold them in.

Not really anything specific for an OD. Take your time when installing the shafts. If you slide the sycro assembly rings too far, the springs will spit the 3 sycro keys down into the housing and you'll be taking it all apart again...nevermind, you'll do that even though I warned you :lol: I did it like 3 times...:banghead:

Oh joy :happy4:

-
Back