833 Strength

-
A face plated 18 spline trans and Dual disc clutch will handle that. It's is the shock from the clutch that breaks parts! If got $$ buy a Soft Lock clutch and you will have no worries, just not sure how they are on the street. Call Jamie Passon @ http://www.passonperformance.com/ -he will answer all of your questions!
he is Top Notch!

bullshit, i have a custom built soft loc... :shock: and it was loosened up when the trans broke. and thats one of 3 hemi boxes i've broke in the dart.. a regualar dual disc will hit harder than any single disc, you'll have parts scattered all over the place. all the money i wasted on hemi boxes i could have bought a brand new Jerico. oh well, maybe in a few years i'll pony up for a big boy trans and go back to shifting. i have one fresh faceplated hemi box left, not going to make the mistake of putting it in my dart though.
proshifted4speed021.jpg

it was fun for a bit though
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSUrUBZogDs&feature=share&list=UUD85GeZ0RfJbEUTdd2p-P_g"]first & last outing for the hemi box - YouTube[/ame]

the pass it broke, i was really starting to get the car dialed in
. i think it would have probably ET'd better than the automatic if i could have kept tweaking the car and my driving.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2_AX7jFdI&feature=share&list=UUD85GeZ0RfJbEUTdd2p-P_g"]first & last outing for the hemi box 2 "broke this pass" - YouTube[/ame]

if this is the same trans i remember reading about it had top shelf internals. i think it was all liberty parts. the gears were even cryo freeze treated i think. that is alot of money in that box.

yep, everything was new and top notch in that trans. even had a low 2.93 first gear in it. Luck fully i live in driving distance of Liberty. they even warned me i was pushing the envelope with the weight of the car. i thought the slipper clutch would save that one, i was wrong... and nothing wrong with the work liberty did, the trans was absolutely awesome. i drove it around for a while on the street and absolutely loved it. i was pretty bummed when that one broke.

Guess nobody ever told you not to burnouts in first gear

it wasn't a first gear burnout, but thats not the issue. third gear burnouts in a 833 are the no no's. i also learned that the hard way.. :thumblef:

first trans i had in the car, it didn't have a slipper clutch that time.

4speed002.jpg

4speed005.jpg

833 is a great trans, just making the point that with a 700 or 800 horse car like the OP is talking about is like pissing in the wind if your gonna race it. i was told by the "been there done that" guys i was wasting my time. instead i didn't listen and wasted a bunch of money because i already had a bunch of trans parts laying around to take to liberty. i should have just saved for the right trans from the beginning. i see somebody else talking about doing the same thing i try to share my experience. i've seen guys go 9's on 833's, but there not doing it in heavy street cars. im sure if my dart ran 10.30's with a alum headed small block the 833 would probably be just fine.

you can make a soft loc live on the street if its built by a professional clutch guy. i've had mine on over 100 mile round trip drive's. just gotta tighten it up for the street use, and the metallic disk is a little noisy. still is a really cool clutch, i liked it. it was also another huge chunk of money but you get what you pay for. it'll go back in the car with a DR-4

P1270015.jpg

Listen to 68HEMI GTS, I went down the same road with a Liberty face plated 833, broke it on the seventh pass with a 500 horse small block. Spent a lot of money to end up where I should of gone in the first place, A Jerico DR4 with a soft-loc clutch. 68 HEMI GTS you have to get a DR4, you will never think auto again. These things shift so smooth when the clutch is right, it like shifting a full manual auto trans only with a clutch.

Listen to 68HEMI GTS, I went down the same road with a Liberty face plated 833, broke it on the seventh pass with a 500 horse small block. Spent a lot of money to end up where I should of gone in the first place, A Jerico DR4 with a soft-loc clutch. 68 HEMI GTS you have to get a DR4, you will never think auto again. These things shift so smooth when the clutch is right, it like shifting a full manual auto trans only with a clutch.

man, reading that makes me dream about ordering one tomorrow. maybe after i get through the diaper stage with the little one i'll be able to go that route. car just isn't nearly as fun with an automatic... Just something about that third pedal turns me on!! do you street drive yours? i was leaning towards the road race sliders when i get one.

This is a GREAT read and very informative! I'm currently building a R5/P7 engine with a 18-spline 833 behind it. The engine made 768 hp at only 550 ft.lbs of torque. The car will weigh 2800lbs with me in it. In your opinion, the reason why the 833 breaks is becuase of excessive torque and weight?

Yes I do street drive it with the dragrace sliders, so far so good. It up shifts and down shifts alot smoother than the Liberty 833 did. The only problem is the Jerico will go into any gear at any RPM so get a good shifter(you don't want to find 1st gear at the top of 2nd because it will go back into 1st as smoothly as it will go into 3rd) believe me I know. (MENTAL NOTE RELEASE LEVER ON VERTAGATE ON UP SHIFTS)

Yes I do street drive it with the dragrace sliders, so far so good. It up shifts and down shifts alot smoother than the Liberty 833 did. The only problem is the Jerico will go into any gear at any RPM so get a good shifter(you don't want to find 1st gear at the top of 2nd because it will go back into 1st as smoothly as it will go into 3rd) believe me I know. (MENTAL NOTE RELEASE LEVER ON VERTAGATE ON UP SHIFTS)

lol yea that could be bad!!

Wow why would you take a great transmission like the 833 and expect it to do something way beyond its designed capabilities turning if from a great transmission to a week link...really??

This is a GREAT read and very informative! I'm currently building a R5/P7 engine with a 18-spline 833 behind it. The engine made 768 hp at only 550 ft.lbs of torque. The car will weigh 2800lbs with me in it. In your opinion, the reason why the 833 breaks is becuase of excessive torque and weight?

yes and yes, sounds like a pretty bad *** engine!!

Thank you guys for all the replys. I have toned down the build a little bit. I have not had the motor dyno'd yet but I would expect mid to high 600's hp and tq. I will be using a McLeod RST clutch and Hays Billet flywheel. My dart weighs approximately 3,300 lbs with me in it. Still think the 18 spline will be the weak link?

a833 is plenty strong enough just go through the whole box and upgrade everything first and be done with it.
i ahve a 12.1 comp 680hp 730tq 505 BB 68 charger with a 23 spline built box it is a street car and never had a problem, has alot more available HP but i detuned it as i dont want it to be too much of a pig to drive.

-
Back