833 Tail housing leaking through bolt hole for Rear Mount?

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
I think I have traced my 833 tail housing leak to on of the bolt holes for Rear Mount? Is this hole visible to the transmission fluid, or is it blind? Do I need to seal it with teflon or rtv? I also noticed the bolt is not seated completely, and I tried to tighten it but it does not move, sloppy work by the previous owner...
Not sure if it is bottomed out, or too long of a bolt, or cross-threaded (doubtful)?

clip-06 Nov. 08 13.36.jpg

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but it sure looks cross-threaded to me.
Those holes are blind, so if you truly do have fluid dripping from that hole, it may be a cracked housing- possibly due to the bolt being forced in there cockeyed.
I would do my best to get that bolt out of there, and then see if that is really the source of your drip. I doubt it, but you never know. At least that will give you the opportunity to chase the threads and get a new proper bolt in there while you chase down the actual leak.
Other possible sources: output seal, speedometer pinion seals, overfilled and coming out the breather, among others.

I will recheck everything, but sure looks to be that bolt is leaking, but perhaps not. Under spirited acceleration, it gets oil on the exhaust pipes creating an abundance of that joyful old car smell.

Ones I own have a 1/4" plate spacer between the mount and Trans. Bolt does look crooked.
My leaks always come from worthless reverse switches that are sold these days.

-
Back