86 LA 360 oil pressure switch

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Ok. I know the one near the intake controls the gauge, but wtf is the one near the firewall for? I've only ever seen more than one for fuel injected vehicles to communicate with the computer.

Attachments

• 20141202_153942.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,850
  • 20141202_153925.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 889
One for the idiot light and one for an aftermarket guage it looks like to me.

That's making it real tight around the distributor....

Do they both have wires attached to them?

For the electric choke? How does that work? I better off understanding Karls theory lmao

No idiot light and no aftermarket gauge

Then WTF are they on the engine for????

If you don't need them, i'd remove them and put a plug in the hole or install aftermarket mechanical gauge. It will open up access to the distributor to make it easier for timing the engine.

..............The left 1 powers the electric choke..............kim........

Nooooo......

If it has dual exhaust, one sending unit to measure the oil to each muffler bearing....

If it only has single exhaust, the other oil sending unit is for the blinker fluid.....

It has a factory oil gauge which is what the fat one is for. Thats why I'm having trouble figuring out what the other one is for lol

Nooooo......

If it has dual exhaust, one sending unit to measure the oil to each muffler bearing....

If it only has single exhaust, the other oil sending unit is for the blinker fluid.....
Haaaaaaaaa!
It has dual exhaust into one muffler and single outlet, so the larger unit must be for the kiniffler over pressure arrester! Keeps the manifold syncnoid's from over heating.

Really Chuck just having fun but if neither work and you have no indication of oil pressure(bad), put an aftermarket gauge on it like krazyk said and clean all that up with one sender... pointed in the right direction. Two birds, one stone.
Larry :glasses7:

Is this on a truck? My truck has the same setup. oil pressure gauge and backlit red for an idiot light.

I hope it works a gauge.

I've been throwing them in with parts lots I've been getting from U pull yards.

Oil gauge does work. Mderoy340: yes, it's a ramcharger. Makes sense that it would illuminate a warning light. That thought had crossed my mind, but I wanted to make sure before just dismissing it. I'm thinking about removing the splitter (keeping it in the hardware drawer of course) and just hooking up the fatty by itself for the gauge.

Oil gauge does work. Mderoy340: yes, it's a ramcharger. Makes sense that it would illuminate a warning light. That thought had crossed my mind, but I wanted to make sure before just dismissing it. I'm thinking about removing the splitter (keeping it in the hardware drawer of course) and just hooking up the fatty by itself for the gauge.

That should be fine.
Keep in mind that you may have to connect the wires together after the switch is removed, or remove the light in the dash.
You would have figured that out pretty quick though. :)

I would fix the idiot light. Cruising down the road a big red light gets your attention quick and might save your engine if you lost oil pressure. Change or check the bulb in the gauge. All the low pressure switch on the block does is provide a ground for the light to come on with low pressure.
All my cars get a mechanical gauge and big red light.

Drain all the oil out, start it, and see if the gauge and light both work.... LOL!

Lmao karl!

Mderoy, I keep pretty close eye on all My gauges. That was the first thing I had to learn before my dad would let me get my license

...............Ok, it sends power to the ballast that bolts to the coil bracket then the ballast powers the little spring in the choke well that the rod hooks to the carb,helps the choke come off sooner..... cant say it any simpler 2 ya buddy............kim..........

...............Ok, it sends power to the ballast that bolts to the coil bracket then the ballast powers the little spring in the choke well that the rod hooks to the carb,helps the choke come off sooner..... cant say it any simpler 2 ya buddy............kim..........

The ballast resistor gets its power from the ignition switch.

That is what is used to "power" the spring in the electric choke pull off.

It has nothing to do with oil pressure.....

The oil pressure switches sense pressure and convert it to resistance. When this resistance has electric power applied will affect the output of that circuit. It is that output that triggers where the gauge reads by sensing the voltage drop due to the resistance. The pressure sensor does not generate electricity, it is just a calibrated resistance based upon the pressure that it senses.

If he disconnects the oil pressure switches, the choke will still work.

Regardless of whether they control a gauge, light, choke or something up your butt, what's not arguable is that it all needs to come apart and Teflon tape needs to be put on the threads. It's leakin.

Lol rob, that whole freaking top needs to come off. It's all leaking.

Kim, karl, the truck has been set up for electric choke. So it's now of little use then.

-
Back