86 Ramcharger issues?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Anyone know of any issues with a 86 ramcharger 2 wheel drive? Im going to go look at one today if the guy still has it. Anything I should lookout for?

I've mainly worked with the older style, but here's a couple things to be aware of:

1. Rusted body mounts, rust under the shock mount on the rear axle.

2. Fried electrical due to corroded bulkhead connections/ammeter problems.

3. Rear axle seal leaks.

4. Popping at the exhaust at idle indicating burnt exhaust valve/s

5. Steering shaft looseness. Borgeson makes a replacement.

Hope this helps!

JR, did the wagon deal fall through? I must have missed the update on it.

Yeah the little asshole sold it to someone else after not showing to the swapmeet. He wouldn't pick up my calls or emails then my dad called from another number and the kid said that he just sold it. Then there was a 67 D-100 318/4 speed that the guy never called back on so Im going to look at this 86 ramcharger. After talking to the guy Im a little sketchy about it but we'll see. 360/727 2wd eddy carb, no carpets or rust (so he says). I'll let ya guys know what happens.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/609893997.html

You may want to look at www.ramchargercentral.com, I have an 86 4x4 with a 369 that has been very good to me. As mentioned before check for rust in the spots mentioned and electrical system. If it has power windows and locks, make sure you test them, they are known to go bad.

Eric
69 B5 Barracuda FB

The rear body member just below the tailgate as well as the rear crossmembers are trouble spots for rust on the R'charger. Check carefully.

I can recommend from experience that the Borgeson steering shaft makes a huge difference! The steering in my 89 RC was horribly sloppy but the Borgeson unit sharpened it up considerably. Probably the best upgrade I've done to the truck. I got mine from Summit Racing.

I've only had my 318 4x4 for about a year now but gas mileage aside (with 3" of lift and 33's it's terrible!), it's been a good truck for me. It's only let me down once and only because the waterpump casting cracked and dumped all the coolant out preventing me from driving. It feels like a tank and gets huge respect on the road from brain-dead idiots in their Camry's that think they're Richard Petty...

Hope it works out for you!

PS: For $700, I'd buy it just for the 360 and 727! ;)

It's got 154000 miles, 86 Royal SE 2 WD 360/727, no rust, a broken stud in the pass side head, about 5billion layers of oil on the motor, the power windows work (so he says) but the door locks don't, for some reason the windshield gasket is cut in half, there is a crack in the windshield, the body is 99.9% streight there is one small dent in the pass door, the clear coat is comming off in sheets ( yay for 1980's), there is a small puddle of water on the driver side floorboard and the drain plug and carpet is gone but no rust in the floor pans, there is an Eddy 600 electric choke that needs a rebuild sitting on a stock 4bbl intake.

He said that he trailered it home from Montana after paying 1000 bucks for it and dropped it off at a tranny shop, had a 727 that he had for 2 years that he got new but never used installed along with new brake pads then drove it 2 miles to his house where he parked it. When I looked under it the tranny was covered in oil and dirt and didn't look very new to me. He said that his bottom line on it was 600 bucks but if I got it and it went to a good Mopar home he would take less. I also didn't get to start it because the fuel pump went out and he hasn't taken the one off his other car (a 68 coronet WAGON...damn it!!!) and put it on. He said he will do it Thursday and I can call him back.

Also anything newer than 1982 needs emissions testing in King county, :thebirdm: King county!!!

Sounds a little rough around the edges. You should be able to get it to pass emissions as long as the exhaust is intact. i've got a two barrel manifold and carb I'd give you if you're still interested in the truck. Are you still thinking about it?

I don't know, I would rather get something a little older that I can just use as a parts chaser that looks decent and then just give it a tune up, slap on the eddy intake and carb I have thats hanging on the wall and just drive the thing and not worry about emissions or anything else. I will just be selling it as soon as my 53 is done. I emailed the guy on the 67 pick up to see if he still has it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/605561248.html

-
Back