88 ram help

-

moparker

Reaction score
Guys I need help diagnosing my 88 ram 5.2 fuel injection throttle body. The truck has 53000 miles. I bought it used and it has had a problem at steady throttle and light throttle. It pulsates at light throttle. Give it more gas and it clears up.When you first take off it acts like it wants to stall but give it me gas and clears up. I've done egr and fuel injection cleaner and fiel filter.Plugs wires cap were all replaced when I got it. Now it has started getting worse like it is cutting out. My manual says vacum leak,idle passage plugged. I can't find any vacum leaks. Any help would be apprecited. The truck did sit for a while if that helps. Mike

I guess you have changed all the obvious, plugs,wires,cap,rotor? That may not fix it, but it sure won't hurt it. While the truck is running look down in the throttle body at the injector. Make sure it is misting the fuel down the throat and not dripping it. Sometimes when those old throttle bodies set up the fuel in them will clog the spray tip on the injector. I don't know of any other way to clean it if you already run cleaner through it, may try to take it out and soak it in some sea-foam. But your problems sounds more like a fuel problem than anything else, may not hurt to hit it with a timing light though

Thanks alot for the response I'm gonna check the fuel pressure, it might be the fuel pump getting ready to take a bleep. I'm just so intimadated by fuel injection that I kinda just through my hands up. I f it was carborated I would know what to do. Mike

I had an 88 Ramcharger that acted like that, and eventually started dying.

After tons of diagnostics and a ton of different parts, it turned out to be a corroded electrical connection under the hood. What a total PITA.

Are you getting any trouble codes? I'd check the throttle position sensor and like Tom said, check all connections for loose/corroded connections including the connection to the ECU.

ive got an 89 that seem like the samething, just give it a touch and for a split second it will stumble; ive just been driving it i dont drive it much so i didnt want to put alot of money into it to try and fix it. good luck!

I got a 33 trouble code but that is for A/C the next one a 34 indicated vacum idle speed control actuator. I ordered a rebuild kit and it will be in tues. It on the drv. side of the trottle body. Looks like a small wiper motor. The throttle cable hits it.

Had an 89 ram with the same problem. I plugged off the egr valve and it ran much smoother. I would check that.

Which end? The end going down to the pipe that goes to the manifolds? I already took the belt off the pump so it isn't running. I jst put a tps on it and it didn't do anything.

Sorry about the stupid qustion about which end. Brain fart. Anyhow plugging off the egr WORKED!!!!!! Thanks alot guys for all the help, Mike

Trial and Error, alot of times if you take the egr off and clean the carbon off of it, it will work again. Mine worked for a while, then messed up again, just plugging it off is supposed to hurt your fuel mileage, but I couldn't tell the difference with or without it.

Thanks again man it worked great it's like a new truck! I owe you one. You need any parts?

I replaced that and it seemed to get a little better but it didn't go away completely. As far as the fuel mileage it's a non issue. We only drive it to haul stuff and when I want to take my golden retreiver for a ride.

-
Back