89 Ram underhood AC components on my 74 Duster.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have access to all the under hood AC components from an 89 Dodge regular cab pick up that I am considering using under the hood of my 74 Duster factory A/C car. Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this.

I don't have it yet so I haven't looked at the fit of the condenser, but I think that should be the only possible issue. They both have LA small blocks, so the accessory drive should work, even if I have to go to the newer style alternator that should be a plus also. I have a friend in the business that can build me any custom hoses I should need. From what I understand, the compressor used on these trucks is the same Sanden unit commonly swapped into vehicles.

Any thoughts?

Cley

I am not sure but you may have problems with the power steering pump and brackets. I tried to use the pump off a 87 Dodge truck on my 70 Duster 340 and I know it did not fit right, I ended up getting a rebuilt pump. The intake manifold is also different in the location of the thermostat housing and the compressor will not fit on old stile intake.
I ended up using a Classic Auto Air system and it fit much better till I put a air gap intake on it, I had to make 1 simple new bracket for it.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Mike

-
Back