8hp70 transmission controller?

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 8hp70 controllers? There’s a couple on the market but I’m hoping someone has used them and can give me a rundown on how user friendly they are. I would like to use the Holley terminator for engine management.

I don't know much about it, but watching these guys that were talking about TurboLamik .

Seen another guy using what sound like a smaller one man operation company forget the brand, he said the guy helping but was taking months of back and forth working the bugs out.

I don't know much about it, but watching these guys that were talking about TurboLamik .

Seen another guy using what sound like a smaller one man operation company forget the brand, he said the guy helping but was taking months of back and forth working the bugs out.

Sound German?

8hp: Prices start at 1000.00

Now supporting 8hp swaps with the FCA units only. We support swaps with factory take out ECMs, crate motor ECMs, and full standalone conversions. Factory FCA 8hp shifters from the Charger, Challenger or Ram must be used. TPS and RPM and brake switch are the minimum requirements.
PCS – Sound German Automotive

Those are the same guys that set up a virtual clutch by locking the TC and engaging/disengaging internal clutch packs based on a potentiometer hooked to a clutch pedal. I posted about that elsewhere on the site. Pretty cool stuff.

Sound German Automotive is somewhat local to me (same state) and has been around for a while. I bet his kits are in most of the 8HP swaps done in the states. My guess is he sets up the shift schedules before shipping the kit and you probably don’t even have to touch them after that. But best to ask, I’m just guessing.

Does anyone have any experience with the 8hp70 controllers? There’s a couple on the market but I’m hoping someone has used them and can give me a rundown on how user friendly they are. I would like to use the Holley terminator for engine management.
There's HTG GCU & Turbo Lamik ,sound german ,the video is from 8speedAU in queensland Andrew doing the video he is quite knowledgeable on the Tubo Lamik currently it will only work with inputs from the engine at last feedback it will not communicate with the Holley Terminator Xmax due to can buss differences

They are relatively easy to install.. although I'm not familiar with the terminator. On a Mopar Crate Harness, it's super easy, as it uses star connectors. If Holley uses them, piece of cake. Otherwise you need to tap into can for throttle signal etc. Russel will point you in the right direction. There are only a few required wires to run.. constant power, keyed power, ground, brake +12 volt output, clutch interlock or neutral safety (just ran mine to ground) and as I said, I run MCH so I just plugged into the star connector. Plug in the shifter and start driving. There are opptional wires that you can add into the harness (easy pre terminaled wires that you just pin into connector) such as speedo, reverse light trigger for relay, sport and track mode etc.

Sorry I can't help ya with the Holley stuff

Tubo Lamik currently it will only work with inputs from the engine at last feedback it will not communicate with the Holley Terminator Xmax due to can buss differences

Interesting. I wonder if he has done anything with a Mopar as most of what I've seen them work with had a Motec controller or something. Could be the TurboLamik setup couldn't be run with the Mopar PCM either.

They are relatively easy to install.. although I'm not familiar with the terminator....

Sorry I can't help ya with the Holley stuff

I know BoostedMotorsports on YT did a 5.7 swap into a '98 or so Ram and used an 8HP70. He used the Terminator X setup but I don't remember if he said what he used to run the 8HP, but I bet it was the SGA kit.

Here's what SGA's site says:

"Now supporting 8hp swaps with the FCA units only. We support swaps with factory take out ECMs, crate motor ECMs, and full standalone conversions. Factory FCA 8hp shifters from the Charger, Challenger or Ram must be used. TPS and RPM and brake switch are the minimum requirements."

Based on that, I would bet the Terminator X is fairly easy to make work.

Here is the YT video where BoostedMotorsports takes the module off the valve body and ships it off. Not sure if he ever says where he sent it, though.

My bet is when the 8HP is setup for a standalone like with a Terminator X, the control module has to be modified to give the transmission controller direct access to the solenoids. I know the TurboLamik needs that mod as well.

I suspect that with a Mopar PCM, you don't have to do any of that. Maybe @Dantra can confirm that the valve body didn't need to be removed with his setup?

Here's a video of the TCU mods necessary for the TurboLamik

I would bet that's what BoostedMotorsports had done when he shipped his off in the previous video I posted.

Doesn't look all that hard.

BTW, 8speed.au does sell the cover they had machined:

I suspect that with a Mopar PCM, you don't have to do any of that. Maybe @Dantra can confirm that the valve body didn't need to be removed with his setup?
No idea why he pulled the valve body.. I know the TCM is inside the trans but he doesn't mention that. I actually need to pull mine and send it to Russel to have it flashed for a 5.7.. Came out of a Scat. Shifts can be a bit aggressive, unexpectedly, when tapping the the throttle or tipping in a little fast. This is what Russel told me anyway. Not really a big deal.. I'll do it someday. But no, you don't have to do anything with the valve body when using SGA.

The 8HP can be tuned but does require special software.

Keep in mind the Aussie guys are nuts! LOL.. They like drifting and burn outs. So what they are building, doesn't really fit into our world.

Also, most of the companies offering trans controllers are just selling you the SGA kit.

Thank you guys for the info! I was getting ready to just keep my 904 but it sounds like the swap isn’t as involved as I thought.

Do any of you guys have any install pics of your 8hp in an a body? I’m sure some tunnel modifications have to be made

Jump into this group... You'll find pics you're looking for

Screenshot_20231215-125931_Facebook.jpg

-
Back