9 1/4 and dana 44

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so the Dana 60 in my truck is loosing the lock it spins both rear tires for a few seconds in a mud hole then only one. Also how make a good spool for a Dana 44 for the front axle.

If I change fluid and put additive in it will if help the rear end of do the clutch's need rebuilt.

Ok so the Dana 60 in my truck is loosing the lock it spins both rear tires for a few seconds in a mud hole then only one. Also how make a good spool for a Dana 44 for the front axle.

If I change fluid and put additive in it will if help the rear end of do the clutch's need rebuilt.

This is a first step,in the diagnosis pattern. We do not know,how YOUR truck,has been maintained(if ever..) . Don't ask,do it anyways: my recommended.

additive helps the clutches slip, removing it would make it more aggressive.

If this is a mud truck only then stick spools in them

additive helps the clutches slip, removing it would make it more aggressive.

If this is a mud truck only then stick spools in them

its my daily driver/toy

when on a dirt road it leaves two tracks but if you spin in a mud hole one rear tire spins. I am going to put a spool in the front. what will happen if I run no additive in the rear end

its my daily driver/toy

when on a dirt road it leaves two tracks but if you spin in a mud hole one rear tire spins. I am going to put a spool in the front. what will happen if I run no additive in the rear end

Start with this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=D9DFoAV8KCnAxLYiSGvrPQ&bvm=bv.68911936,d.cGU
Ignore any" limited slip o.k. ) b.s..They are not. A fresh change of gear oil
& the recommended additional, will tell you the truth.....Cheap enough, try it....

A spool in the front? Does your truck ever need to turn? If your were straight up mud dragging I could see it but for the the street or any off road use anything but an air locker is going to be a ***** to drive.

A spool in the front? Does your truck ever need to turn? If your were straight up mud dragging I could see it but for the the street or any off road use anything but an air locker is going to be a ***** to drive.

its not full time 4x4 so I can unlock the hubs and be a daily again

Pull the cover off the 60 and see if you actually have a locking rear.
Spinning on dirt with both wheels then in a mud hole only spinning one sounds like you have an open rear.
Leave the front alone.
I have front and rear lockers in my Willy's and hate them, to much noise, jerky on the street.
I am about ready to take the locker out of the front and put a open carrier back in.
You cannot steer the thing in 4wd unless the hubs are un-locked even in mud.

its a 9 1/4 but that's still fine but I need to change the gears 3.20 gears with 35in tires and a old 318 equals no power.

I am planning on swapping front and rear to 4.10 ratio I am going to order the ring and pinion for front and rear will I need to replace axles seals of will they be fine.

It looks open to me too. And if it does have clutches in it, you wouldn't be able to see them because they would be behind the side gears.

-
Back