9 1/4 enigma

-

mopargoob

Reaction score
Ok, I know most everyone here will disagree with me, but I have info to the contrary.
About 10 years ago, I picked up an old 74 duster, parked it and let it sit for about 7 years and I sold it to a Mopar friend. It had the E58 360 engine option, buckets, console, rally gauge pkg, etc. Yellow with black bumblebee stripe and black interior. And it had a 9 1/4 rear axle. Yes I know I am going to get flamed and disagreed with, but the broadcast sheet said 9 1/4, the shock plates, u bolts and nuts were all beat up from gravel, and had never been off that I can see (I kept the axle just to prove one exists)
I am going to check the parts Microfische on Monday to see if the option exists in our parts manuals.
By the way, I am a Chrysler and ASE Master Certified Tech, and have worked as a Mechanic/Technician for 21 years.

Never seen it personally-but it doesn't mean it could not have been. I've had 2 people tell me my Dart shouldn't have certain items/option combos in it, yet there they are. I bought the car from the original owner and got everything down to the window sticker with the car. How many times has that happened? Late production/end of production for the model year..."Hey Bob, just grab those parts over there-they'll work." Not to mention late-intro options that weren't known about by the vast majority of dealers or customers (not to mention cared about).

sounds strange, but i will never say that mopar never built it that way because i have already read about strangely equiped veicles, will bee intresting to see what the numners says ;)

Ok, the parts manual (we still have some old paper ones) says the Duster/Dart line of cars had the 7 1/4, and 8 1/4, but all the lists and cross checks say they never had the 9 1/4 option. One thing I have learned from years of on the job experience is that just when I think I know something, I realize that its probably foot-in-mouth happening. :wack:
I am probably wrong when I said it came with the 9 1/4, but I was only looking at the only evidence I had at the time. I talked to someone today who said they knew the last owner of the vehicle, and he probably switched the axle sometime somewhere. (I would still like to know from whence the axle came???). 8-[

-
Back