9 1/4 rear end

-

jim

Reaction score
I changed a convertor on a young guys R/T Dakota and noticed the size of the rear end was a 9 1/4. I was thinking one of these could fit under a Dart I am rebuilding. I did not get a chance to measure the width but I think I saw where they were close on the width.Hasanyone tried this swap? I know a salvage yard that has a R/T I could snag a rear end.

I have heard that same thing from a dealer mechanic. He had one sitting in his garage with intentions of putting it in his duster.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the 9 1/4" rear on the Dakota has a 6 bolt axle, at least mine does. It would be nice to get a 5 bolt axle on it, since it has disc brakes also.

This one has drum brakes so it should not be a issue drilling the axel or brake drums to make it a 5 on 4 1/2. The way the yoke is being flat could take some work on the drive shaft.

You better measure that rearend again cause I believe it's at least 5-6" wider than a A-body rear. I have an 02 Dak with the 9-1/4 rear and it sure looks a bunch wider than my Cuda rear. I know my 93 Dak I used to own had a 63" wide rearend and my 02 Dak looks just as big if not bigger.

As for the Yoke, just get one of a Dakota driveshaft and use a conversion U-joint is necessary to adapt it to the A-body shaft. Also don't forget to measure the driveshaft length cause a 9-1/4 may have a different axle to yoke centerline distance which will require a different length driveshaft.

-
Back