9.1 PSI Carter M6270 Mech Fuel Pump

-

pntastar69

Reaction score
Running a 360 w/a Holley 670 fed by a Carter mechanical fuel pump M6270. Supposed to output max 8.1 PSI. The one I just installed puts out 9.1 PSI Tried 2 different pressure gauges, same reading. blowin fuel past the needle valve seats and flooding the 2ndaries.

I replaced the pump recently due to it leaking fuel into the crank case. Ran this pump for years and always wondered why it always ran rich. The old pump read 9PSI as well. Folks say to install a fuel pressure regulator and adjust it to what a Holley likes, 7 PSI.

Anybody else find the need to run a regulator w/this pump? If so, where did you mount the regulator? Supposed to be close the the carb as possible. There are some nice fuel pump mounting brackets on the market along w/some fuel line kits. Hate like hell to spend all that $$ but need to get the pressure back to normal.

Pix of where to mount the regulator would be greatly appreciated.

It will happen on those Carter street/strip pumps, My last one would creep to 10.5 lbs. lol, you need to run a reg., But get a "good" quality one, no junk like procomp..

so, what regulator did you end up using? I'm using the same carter strip super mechanical fuel pump and my pressure is at 11 psi! too much for my hot street 318 with a 725 demon carb. If ya have pics, please post them.

thanks,
james

HA! I know, I was searchin through the forums lookin for an answer. I just bought the same one. I will have it installed by Monday. It should help with the fumes and occasional flooding. :)

-
Back