9" brakes on 318 swap HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!!

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help! I dont wanna Die if i cant stop.

72 Dodge dart swinger special
I have a /6 and am putting in a 318
has a 7 1/4 with 9" brakes front and back
i am putting in a 8 3/4 with 10" backing plates .....so 10" rear brums

My question is can i use the 9" front brakes or will i Have to change them?

I wouldnt run front drums on anything that i might need to remotely stop in a hurry in. just my 2cents. I had 10" factory discs on my barracuda and am going to 11 3/4" for more stopping powa.

9" drums will work fine if they are in good shape and you drive like a normal person. But..... I would sink any money in to them if they need work. Scarebird Mechanical sells a bracket to go to disc brakes using the 9" drum spindal. Cost about $350 to make the switch.

if your liking to drive fast.. or your a wild man and you cant go 55 then i would upgrade.. brake fade with drums is common and their braking power is under rated compaired to rotors.. id upgarde . unless you can keep back and slow down..

theres my .02

Cerwin
:wav:

If Your Going To The 5x 4.5 Bolt Pattern I Got A Set Of 11'' X 2 1/2 Backing Plates And Drums For A 8 3/4 From Under A 69' 300 That I Let Go Cheap!..they Will Surely Stop The Car No Matter What Size Your Front Are

well whatever you decide just keep in mind. Dont cheap out/get by ANYWHERE brake related..damhik

100_1420.jpg

100_1420.jpg

I'm supposed to be in the process of buying a set of discs for my car. If it doesn't fall through, I might sell my front drums with small bolt pattern. They came off of a '69 Formula S 340 Barracuda Coupe. I put new wheel cylinders on about 25 years ago & never hooked them up. They still have the plastic plugs in the cylinders. I think I also replaced the shoes, maybe all of the hardware. I'd have to pull them apart to check. Also have a pair of new hoses & a rebuilt master cylinder.

go to a bone yard and get a 73 to 76 disk setup. You'll need the spindle and upper control arm and all the lines, calipers etc.. I've got a 72 Dart with 73 Valiant disks. just bought new calipers from NAPA for $25 per caliper.

Are the disk small bolt?

Ouch Goody

I like to cruise at about 70-80 on the freeway not looking to dead stop at 100+ but i do wanna be safe.
Its from light to light im worried about. I like to drive those like its a 1/4 mile track :toothy7:

All kidding aside, I just wanna be safe, and dont know if i can afford the disks right now and wanna know if i will be safe.

sublimeswinger said:
Are the disk small bolt?

Ouch Goody

I like to cruise at about 70-80 on the freeway not looking to dead stop at 100+ but i do wanna be safe.
Its from light to light im worried about. I like to drive those like its a 1/4 mile track :toothy7:

All kidding aside, I just wanna be safe, and dont know if i can afford the disks right now and wanna know if i will be safe.

My 360 dart had 4manual drums with a 360, performer and headers. it was a handful to stop from a decent highway cruise. They faded like nobodies buisness, normal street traffic they were ok, any panic stop, hard braking and its no fun. Some will they 'they work fine', but there are better options. Brakes arent something to skimp on.

-
Back