9" Drum Brake Hardware??

-

Useless

Reaction score
I finally got my '63 Valiant running and took it out for it's first test cruise yesterday, I went around the block and the further I got the more if felt like my right front brake was stuck on, not a big deal... I've already dealt with that on the left rear, it was just a stuck adjuster.

Today I had a chance to pop the front drum off and I was right, except it was worse than I thought. Both of my return springs are broken and the parts that "steers" the cable that restricts the movement of the adjuster lever fell off also, my wheel cylinder is pooped too.

I thought, oh, no big deal... I'll order a hardware kit from advance....no go. I checked with them, Autozone and Napa and I've yet to come up with a hardware kit for the 9" drum brakes.

Does anyone have a source for a kit or a P/N? I've read something about an '87 Dakota kit being used for the rears but I've come across nothing about the fronts.

I've been waiting 4 months to drive this car.... I can't wait anymore! Help me FABO!! :D

100_2883.jpg

This is what fell off, I'm unsure how it attaches to the brake shoe.

100_2887.jpg

1st of all, nice blanket. 2nd of all, i got all my hardware from napa. it had pronto for a name on the box. we use it all the time in the shop. and that rusty piece is held in that hole by your return spring.

You can try Advance with a H7037 hardware kit and H2516 and H2517 self adjuster kits. I just bought some parts there for my 10 inch brakes and I know they had parts for the 9" brake set too. I have noticed that a lot of the spring sets they sell don`t include the spring for the self-adjuster so you may have to buy that one separately.

Thanks man, I'll give that a try. They have a hardware kit listed on the website, but when you bring up the page for that, it comes up as the little oval rubber dust cover on the backing plate that goes to the adjuster. I figured they had something, asking someone at the store is a waste of time though :angry7:

You`re welcome, with Roanoke being their hub, you should easily be able to find the correct parts for your car.

I went through this exact exercise last summer.

I was able to order 9" drums from PartsAmerica online - but trying to find brake parts really began to confuse me - and I was hesitant to order any of them online.

I went to a local shop (here in Louisville, Ky) called A-C Brake. They set me up with cylinders, bushings, springs, retainers, etc, etc, etc. The guy that helped me (Dave Berry, I believe) really seemed to know his stuff, and highly recommended that I also replace the brake hoses - which essentially turned out to be the parts that solved my weak brake problem. :cheers:

Their website is: http://www.acbrake.com/

Sometimes you have to adjust the year to match what is in their computer. I know that '69 Dart 9" brake parts work on a '62 Lancer. 9" brakes are 9" brakes. There weren't enough changes from '60 to '76 to make a functional difference in the parts.

Yearone has a hardware kit for 9" drums, their part number is BG539. I don't know if they have everything you need but you can check. I have 9" drums on my 67 dart and I'm replacing with disc. you can have anything I have but I'm not sure it would be the same for a 63 Valiant. I'll check to see if my cable guide is the same as yours when I get home tonight.

-
Back