9 inch drums to 10 inch drums to front disks

-

Projectile Dart

Reaction score
My 68 Dart came stock with 9 inch drums up front and it recently became sidelined because they were leaking like crazy, I have decided to upgrade instead of rebuild so I take a trip to the junkyard and I saw the first classic mopar that I have ever seen in over 10 years of going to the junkyard (they just don't get junked in socal). It was a 73 Duster with a /6 and 10" drums up front. I pulled the upper control arm with LBJ and spindle because I remember reading here long ago of the parts needed to piece together your own front disks using 73 up upper control arms and 10" brake spindles. But I am new here and obviously I must suck at searching because I could not find the thread I was looking for (yes, I already read through ....brakes 101). I would much rather swap to the 11.75" disks while I'm at it if possible, it'll be the same amount of work in the end anyways.

If anyone can link me to a thread that has all this information it would be much appreciated

I don't mind getting parts from rock auto or similar autoparts stores, but I would like to avoid any possible kits to save some $$$ unless they come very highly recommended

End of my story and now for my questions:
1. What parts am I missing and where do I source them?

2. Single piston calipers vs 4 piston calipers? I've heard mixed reviews on the benefits of one or the other.

3.I have access to a 1976 dodge tradesman conversion van with stock front disks, I believe that they are 11.75" rotor size, are there any possible parts that I can pull from that, at bare minimum calipers/master cylinder?

As for my purpose with the car, as of right now it will just be a city cruiser but I am building it long term to eventually attended autocross events and such so I would like the heavier duty parts from the get go

Thank you for looking at my thread and any help at all will be appreciated, and please feel free to correct me if any of my above information is incorrect.

If you switch to single piston caliper discs up front, they will have 4 1/2" bolt pattern for the rims and your rear is 4" bolt pattern, meaning your spare tire will not fit all positions...

I would go with the kelsey hayes four piston discs in that set-up as they are 4" bolt pattern and will match up with the rest of the car...

If you switch to single piston caliper discs up front, they will have 4 1/2" bolt pattern for the rims and your rear is 4" bolt pattern, meaning your spare tire will not fit all positions...

I would go with the kelsey hayes four piston discs in that set-up as they are 4" bolt pattern and will match up with the rest of the car...

I plan on swapping everything to large bolt pattern in the end anyways, I am currently in the market for an 8 3/4 rear end LBP so that wouldn't be a problem for me, and I'm going to 17" rims so I won't have to worry about any clearance issues either

I plan on swapping everything to large bolt pattern in the end anyways, I am currently in the market for an 8 3/4 rear end LBP so that wouldn't be a problem for me, and I'm going to 17" rims so I won't have to worry about any clearance issues either

Then go with the single piston calipers...

Then go with the single piston calipers...

ok, thank you, and at the risk of sounding dumb, what else am I going to need with those? such as brackets and such, or more importantly, what kind of donor cars would I need to look at to get what I need. I have performed countless google searches and I've received so much contradicting information that it has all just left me confused.

I have been able to find the 80's FMJ cars such a say 85 Dodge Diplomat for spindles and caliper brackets. If you are lucky the calipers and rotors may be good enough to use.If you look up rotors for one they are about $50 each, calipers about $25.The master will be of the 2 bolt type but you can score that along with the booster and with a little bit of work bolt it right in.

ok, thank you, and at the risk of sounding dumb, what else am I going to need with those? such as brackets and such, or more importantly, what kind of donor cars would I need to look at to get what I need. I have performed countless google searches and I've received so much contradicting information that it has all just left me confused.

You will need the 73 and later upper control arm, spindles and discs...

Those take the larger upper ball joint...

just google how to convert mopar small bolt pattern to large bolt pattern. There is all kinds of helpful information. I got it all from "For A bodies only" members,they are fantastic here for help

-
Back