9" vs 10" rear drums

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Since it seems impossible for me to be able to find a set of new 10 x 1.75" sbp rear drums, I'm thinking it would be easier to just swap to 9" drum assemblies on the rear, since I have to completely rebuild the brakes anyway. It looks like all of the 9" parts are readily available from the auto parts store at a decent price.

Would there be a huge difference in braking power between the 9 x 2 and the 10 x 1.75 rear brakes? Am I an idiot for thinking about taking a step in the wrong direction?

BTW- This is for a 66 barracuda with discs up front. It just frustrates me not being able to find parts.

Thanks.

I would stay with the 10" drums, 9" is a step backwards, the 10" drums are hard to find not sure why, I would take a good used pair of 10" drums over new 9" any day

I was just checking into drums on the RockAuto site and could'nt find any listed there.They had a listing for 9"x2" rear drums for cars with front discs which seemed bizzare as disc cars should have the 10" drums.

Personally I don't think you'd lose much by going with the 9"x2" drums as what you lose on the diameter,you gain back with the extra 1/4" in width.In fact you'd probably end up with the same or more braking surface area with the wider shoes.Either way,at least 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels unless you're towing a trailer or use your car to transport sand and gravel so I'd say go for it.

I would never use 9" drums for anything. They were poor brakes when new and they're still poor brakes no matter what you do with them. 10" drums in the rear work just fine when properly maintained.

Our 93 Dakota as well as my 95 Jeep Cherokee both have disc up front and 9 inch brakes on the back. It may be that since a majority of the braking is done by the front, Chrysler may have felt 10 inch on the rear were not necessary so you might be OK too. Conversely, an 07 Jeep Liberty we traded in on a '10 Ram both had rear discs. Go figure.

I'd vote for making the effort to find the 10" drums. Not only are they better brakes, but they're also more tunable (multiple different wheel cylinder bore sizes, etc.)

odd I got 2 rear ones from pep boys and Napa around $48. it takes about a week or so to come in but they are quite good

Thanks for the help guys. I guess going to 9" drums would be pretty stupid on my part.

I've looked a little further for drums.. Rock auto does not carry them anymore.

Kragen has them for about $100 apiece! Napa also has them for about the same price.

I think I'll just measure mine and see how bad they really are. If anything I'll just clean em up, scuff them with some sandpaper, and throw them back on with new parts underneath.

Thanks again for the input guys.

So I just checked back in with Rock Auto. They have the sbp 10" drums (bd60123) again! They are only $43. I already ordered mine, but they have 9 left. Thanks again guys!

ok guys how ABOUT A PART NUMBER FOR THOSE 10 INCH 4.5 BP REARS FROM EITHER AUTO ZONE ORAILEYS AND PRICE NON FINNED

ok guys how ABOUT A PART NUMBER FOR THOSE 10 INCH 4.5 BP REARS FROM EITHER AUTO ZONE ORAILEYS AND PRICE NON FINNED

Which brand? I can think of three companies off the top of my head that make the 10" large pattern drums. Or, alternatively, you could call your local Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, Advance, or O'Reilly's. And they can tell you prices, and what they have in stock or can get. The big bolt pattern stuff isn't hard to find, its the small pattern stuff they haven't made in 40 years that's hard to find.

-
Back