90 degree oil filter adapter

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
I bought the 90 degree oil filter adapter for my '76 360. I noticed where the oil filter screws on has a plate with 4 holes in it. Do I leave that plate on or do I take it off. I figured if I left the plate on it would screw something up? I would hate to screw up a motor that was just recently rebuilt. Thanks for the help.

That comes off......that is where the filter seats and seals. take a 3/8 extenstion and stick it in the filter mounting nipple and it will screw right out.

Mick Semantel said:
I bought the 90 degree oil filter adapter for my '76 360. I noticed where the oil filter screws on has a plate with 4 holes in it. Do I leave that plate on or do I take it off. I figured if I left the plate on it would screw something up? I would hate to screw up a motor that was just recently rebuilt. Thanks for the help.
or a 3/8 hex bar or a 7/8" socket - I've had all 3 types.

BTW why are you adding a 90* to your engine?

I bought a set of TTI headers. I'll be pulling the 95 horse /6 and dropping in a fresh 360, on a couple of weeks. Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if I should take it off or leave it on.

I just putt a set of TTI's on my 68 340 cuda. I want to get away form the 90 degree filter plate. There is plenty of room for straight spin on filter.
All I have to do is find the adapter plate. One of A Body member said to drill 4 more 1/4 inch holes in the plate to increase oil flow. I'm going to give that a try.

Mick Semantel said:
I bought a set of TTI headers. I'll be pulling the 95 horse /6 and dropping in a fresh 360, on a couple of weeks. Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if I should take it off or leave it on.

As said drill 4 more 1/4" holes in the flat plate you have and reinstall with new gasket. a NAPA gold #1068 or equivalent Wix will work just fine with the TTis - don't install filter before installing headers.
FYI - to make installing the TTis a little easier -disconnect the idler arm at the frame will give you more freedom to move things. Tey are a tight fit but well worth it IMO. you may have to raise the passenger side of the engine to get clearance between the header and the drag link/idler arm pivot nut.I added a 3/16" U shaped shim under the motor mount so mine would clear.
Have fun.

-
Back