90 degree oil filter

-
My understanding is that it is only required when using a full size filter (Wix 51515). If the "shorty" is used (Wix 51085), the need is not as great. The problem IIRC was not interference with the exhaust, it was interference with the torsion bars. Normal engine movement would cause the end of a long filter to hit the bar and it was also tougher to get the long filter off. Personally, I've never had a LA engine A-body without a 90º adapter, so I can't speak from experience.

My understanding is that it is only required when using a full size filter (Wix 51515). If the "shorty" is used (Wix 51085), the need is not as great. The problem IIRC was not interference with the exhaust, it was interference with the torsion bars. Normal engine movement would cause the end of a long filter to hit the bar and it was also tougher to get the long filter off. Personally, I've never had a LA engine A-body without a 90º adapter, so I can't speak from experience.

i dont run the 90 on my 340 cars i used the short filter and no promblem

I have the 69 340 manifolds on my 340 and I'm using a shorty filter and I have to unbolt the exhaust pipe from the manifold to change oil filters. The head pipes are Accurate Exhaust pieces.

Here is a picture of why a 90 degree oil filter adapter or a remote adapter should be used. The exhaust manifold points directly at the short oil filter as the picture shows.

Attachments

• oil filter and 49 casting.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 181
I was figuring out the same thing a while ago, and came to the conclusion that installing a remote adapter was the best option, because i've been told that some of those 90 degree adapters don't flow overly well, but that's not to say that they don't work.

-
Back