904 2-3 flare (again)

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
904, manual valve body, "drag free".
Behind a mild stroker. (Iron heads, flat tappet cam) built by a reputable shop.
Its always had a flare on the 2-3 shift when shifted at wide open throttle. A search of this forum says incorrect kickdown linkage adjustment can be the culprit. However being Manual, it has no kickdown assembly fitted.
I hit up the shop who built it, who said we should pull the trans down and inspect the forward clutch pack. (Oh and that the 904 is a light duty box not suited to HiPo applications)
Although the trans was built a good few years back now, it's done very few miles/passes.
I watched a few videos on youtube. A bloke pulling one down. He was from some shop, who I found on facebook. I blew some smoke up his arse about how great his video was before asking what he reckoned. His take was the preload on the forward clutch pack was wrong?
Anyway, yesterday I went to a book shop and ordered a book about rebuilding torqueflites. And today the trans came out.
I've probably mentioned this particular problem before. But I thought I'd ask what the F.A.B.O. hive mind thought once again since the time to fix it is here.
Having a huge flare on that 2-3 shift blows. Its gotta be adding a tenth or two to the E.T. And my sphincter tightens something fierce when the engine revs up like that. I actually thought id been over selecting, and hitting N to be begin with. It still has the column shift which is a bit clunky. (Soon to be a B&M megashifter, which should transform what the car is like to drive)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bart.
Screenshot_20220703-205446_Gallery.jpg

Best of all,
My phone slipped out of my pocket, and landed in the drain pan full of the trans fluid I'd drained out too.
Even better, I didnt realise for about ten minutes.......

Do you have the kickdown lever at the transmission wired all the way back? You're supposed to.

I had the same problem with a Cheetah reverse manual 727 . I asked a A&A and they told me it was the valve body. Scary shifting a 8000 . Only did it when hot

Is this a thing?
The shop who built it said the kickdown linkages could be deleted?
Yes, you delete the linkage, but the lever on the transmission must be wired all the way back.

Yes, you delete the linkage, but the lever on the transmission must be wired all the way back.
I don't know what kind of valve body the OP has, but with the TA Cheetah RMVP there is nothing to wire back.

I don't know what kind of valve body the OP has, but with the TA Cheetah RMVP there is nothing to wire back.
You're correct. My assumption is "if the lever is there". We have to assume, since we don't know. As usual.

Are you sure these folks said, "forward" pack?? Not "front" pack? Check endplay before you pull the pump. Probably too much front clutch clearance. Is reverse delayed?

But you quoted two different sources as saying, "forward" twice...Why? Terminology is very important if you want your stuff to come out right...not just thrown together...which it sounds like this was...

Let's not focus on terminology so much and just focus on the problem and plausable causes/reasons for it.

It would have been nice if the transmission came with that instruction.
I've messaged the shop again, and asked them if this us in fact the case. (They're supposed to be a reputable shop)
The trans is out now. So the clutch pack will at least be getting inspected before it goes back in.
Probably watch that tear down video a few more times first too. Hopefully the book I've ordered shows up soon too.

I'll only tell you one time to correct your terminology; if you continue to just throw terms around indiscriminately, I won't help you. Your choice.

I'll only tell you one time to correct your terminology; if you continue to just throw terms around indiscriminately, I won't help you. Your choice.
That could actually end up bein a good thing for him.

-
Back